Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

More Front End Brake Problems
By Shadytrake

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I posted originally in 2003 about the brake problem. Well it has become progressively worse. I can only go 1 year on the front brakes before the rotors go and the calipers get stuck. It is in the shop now for its 5th or 6th (I've lost count) front end brake, caliper, and rotor job. The truck is reliable -yes- but before I tow the horse, I have to have the brakes inspected for wear. They just don't hold up.

This baby corners like a race car. I love driving it fast when I am not towing.

BRAKES. BRAKES. BRAKES.

2000 Toyota Tundra SR-5 Extended Cab
By Okey Thomas

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the vehicle new. I have 105000 miles on it. For other than normal maintenance, the truck has been in the shop five times, four of which were oxygen sensors which were later recalled. The fifth time was for a water pump. Other makes of trucks I drove before this were in the shop up to 20 times in the first year. This vehicle rides and drives very well and is very comfortable to travel in. We have a 2004 Camry and I would rather travel in the truck. The body is solid with no rattles. The interior is not coming apart and looks as it did when we bought the truck. We love it!!!!

The 4.7 V8 is plenty powerful. Suspension is solid enough for big loads yet allows a gentle ride even when empty.

Seatbelts need a little more powerful spring action to pull belt back into storage when not in use. Mine usually stay out and I have to asist it back into storage. It is aggravating.

2000 Tundra
By Jay

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

Constant problem with front brake rotors warping. No help from Toyota, turned rotors 1 time during warranty. After 36,000 miles, cost were my own. Occured about every 15-20k miles. Poor support from Toyota. Internet posting confirm that I was not the only one with the problem. Other than that no major problems.

Handling, performance, size, style, quality other than brakes.

IMPROVE BRAKING SYSTEM & FUEL EFFICIENCY

She Shook Me!
By Jaret

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

This truck had the shakes. It went back to dealer so many times, I just gave up. Toyota did replace all four wheels, but it didn't solve the problem. Oxygen sensors went out around 30k along with the tires. I had to pay for the oxygen sensors, but Toyota repaid me 4 years later. The tow wiring harness melted. The paint job was very poor. You could thump it and it would chip. The suspension was weak, and you could hit the bump stops in the rear very easy. I installed Bilstein shocks & Timbren ruber springs to solve the problem. I never had a brake problem. The engine was superb. Very smooth, responsive, and did a decent job pulling. I got over half my money back on trad-in after five years.

Resale value. Reliability. Great engine. Looks. Cost.

Ride quality. Suspension. Paint. OEM tires. Emission system. Tow wiring.

2000 Tundra
By J Tillman

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Best riding & handling truck I've ever had. Liked the truck a lot. Suicide door arrangement was the most the most bothersome part of the truck. It was difficult getting things in or out of the back seat area having to have both side doors open, espeicially in a crowded carking lot. The Dunlop tires that came with the truck all failed within 27,000 mi. The belts shifted inside the tire.

I would like to see Toyota make a more HD truck; at least a 3/4 Ton diesel model.