Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

True Believer
By only drivin tundras

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Tundra in mid 2002 with 44K miles. Drove it approx 35K per year pushing oil changes to every 10K. Replaced one set of front rotors, one fuel pump (it was blowing the EFI 1 fuse) and one set of spark plugs. It was an outstanding truck. I say was because it was totaled in an accident with 206K. Had it not met an early demise I believe it would have easily rolled 300K plus. I missed it so much I replaced it with another one with a young 148K on it.

Favorite Features

It's all good. Styling, feel and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out the brake shudder. It's irritating but certainly not enough to make me buy another brand.

It's not all that it is cracked up to be
By Gene

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Many problems with the brakes. Was told the axle has to be replaced to fix the brake problem. Exhaust header gasket replaced at 50,000. Panel light burnt out as did the rear license plate light. Went through 3 starters. Paint was very susceptible to scratching. Brackets holding front wheel well trim corroded in under 70,000. Oil dipstick was the wrong length. Door screws come loose. Electrics in drivers door replaced.

Favorite Features

Rides well. Exhaust system looks new, never replaced. Upholstery held up well.

Perfect light duty
By Andrei

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought mine with 50k on it. Now it's 90k. Had to replace shaking brakes at 60k. Otherwise no problems, it runs like new. It rides very comfortable and quiet at any speeds. I used to average 19 MPG, up to 22 MPG on highway at 80-90 mph. But now I put 1 size bigger tires and I'm down to 17 MPG, 19.5 MPG highway. I have tonneau cover too. This truck rides effortlessly anywhere you take it.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo, autolights, effortless power, good fuel mileage, easy, sporty driving experience, ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better springs in the door, so it doesn't close on you every time you reach inside the truck while standing outside. Better water channeling off the windshield, so it doesn't run on drivers side window.

Over a thousand and still running.
By barry morgan

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my tundra used with 78,000 miles. It was like I was in a new truck, and was very pleased. Until I started having problems with the oxygen sensors going bad. I rated the reliability low because I think Toyota has dropped the ball with the experiences that I have had with the oxygen sensors.

Favorite Features

How tight the truck still feels. My truck has over 122,000 miles on it now, and it feels like you are in a truck with about 30,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Need a lot of work there. I like head rests that adjust forward and back. The back seat is all right for children on long trips, but for adults forget it. After about 20 miles in the back seat all you want is out.

Beats Ford
By Cain Toyota

2000 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

Prior to buying a Tundra, I owned a ford 150 and paid about 3000 dollars less then the Tundra. Over the long term comparison, the Tundra out preformed the ford 150 in every aspect. I enjoy the performance of the Tundra and over the seven years I have put very little money in to repair bills. I have followed all the specs for mileage requirements and my truck looks and runs as well as it did the day I drove the truck off the lot. I plan to keep this truck for another 7 years.

Favorite Features

Cab comfort, with a well-placed center armrest, seats that are comfortable and have held up well over seven years. I have no rust anywhere on the vehicle after seven years. My favorite aspect of the Tundra is the speed the V8 generates. I can beat out any vehicle from a standing start.

Suggested Improvements

I love my Tundra just as it is. I think Toyota got it right from the start. As I have become older, I have been thinking more about the environment and I would like to see trucks become more environmentally friendly.