Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Good little truck
By Jason

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ever since I bought it, this truck has been nothing but reliable. The one problem I have had has been with brake rotors. After turning the existing rotors and eventually replacing them with new ones, I've pretty much given up on a shake-free ride. However, on rough terrain, I have never owned anything more solid. My Dodge diesel feels like it's going to disintegrate if I get off the pavement, but not the Tundra. It has decent power for such a small V6, but the fuel economy isn't that great when taken in context with the small body size. I can get 20 mpg. if I baby it, but other than that, 17.5 is about average. 24-25 mpg. in high altitude, though. This is one tough little truck!

Relatively good pulling power for engine size. Most transmission and engine maintenance points are easily accessible. Suspension is particularly good for such a small pickup.

Fuel mileage! A truck this small should be CONSISTENTLY getting around 25 mpg. I suspect that a little bit of intake work couldn't hurt, because a K&N filter did help my mileage a bit. Since I use it as a work truck, it could really use tougher seat and interior materials.

Stay Away, Bad Brakes
By TundraBummer

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab SR5 V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

After about 6000 miles the truck started shaking when I stopped. I took it back to the dealer who did a complete brakes job. It drove great for about another 8000 miles then started shaking again. In total, I have had 3 new rotors, 2 new drums, 2 new front calipers, including the last time when they installed the updated brakes, just before the warranty ran out. now it still shakes when I stop. The dealer tells me there is nothing htey can do, since it has all the latest updates for the brakes. Also, the exhaust manifold leaked, and the check engine light has been on 4 seperate time for various emission problems that have totaled over $900.

Body Styling Front seat comfort

Brakes, Brakes Brakes. If you buy the truck, expect to have the brakes done every 5000 miles or endure the shaking each time you stop.

More Front End Brake Problems
By Shadytrake

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab SR5 V8 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I posted originally in 2003 about the brake problem. Well it has become progressively worse. I can only go 1 year on the front brakes before the rotors go and the calipers get stuck. It is in the shop now for its 5th or 6th (I've lost count) front end brake, caliper, and rotor job. The truck is reliable -yes- but before I tow the horse, I have to have the brakes inspected for wear. They just don't hold up.

This baby corners like a race car. I love driving it fast when I am not towing.

BRAKES. BRAKES. BRAKES.

great truck
By jammer29

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have 170,000 miles on it and it is still kicking A$$ !!! I replaced the breaks at 102,000 miles.

Speed, handling,

I should of bought 2 tundras!!!

2000 Toyota Tundra
By hovisimo

2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab SR5 V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This truck has been a disappointment. Toyota quality is all but absent. Granted it is the first model year, but it has far too many shortcomings. Overall quality is poor. The interior has squeaked and rattled since it was new. The suspension squeaks, chirps, and rattles. Teeth break off the spider gears in the rear end. Axle seals blow for no apparent reason. The transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear. Fuel milage and crusing range is unimpressive, After 4 years, toyota has still not solved the brake problem. The 4wd system is failure-prone. I cannot recommend this truck.

none.

box frame instead of c-channel, better quality hardware, better tires, larger engine, better MPG, better brakes, rear disc brakes, better battery, better quality interior, real 3/4 and 1 ton versions.