2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Driven almost daily since Dec. 1999
By lostarchangel on 04/16/14 13:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck (a 2000 Tundra SR5 V8) new in December, 1999 and have driven it almost daily ever since. The only problems I've had with it are a bad oxygen sensor that went out about 7 years ago and the A/C has gone out twice. I replaced the timing belt at about 120,000 miles and have put about 170,000 miles on the truck since I bought it new. This truck was used on a small farm and often hauled heavy loads - sometimes exceeding its rated specs, without a problem. Sometimes it was called upon to tow a two-horse trailer for short trips too. After all these years though, it is still my favorite vehicle to drive, and I prefer it to driving my 2012 Kia Optima. I'll never sell it.

One of a Kind
By atomicalex7 on 10/22/13 09:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

After 5 months of experience driving this truck, I can truly say it runs better than most new cars today. There is plenty of effortless power that comes through the 4.7 liter engine, however an extra gear would be helpful when accelerating up an onramp while towing. Driving the truck can be wiggly on very bumpy roads, however a majority of the time it just floats down the road. While stopping quickly from a high rate of speed, there is a noticeable shake coming from the pedal, but that is a common problem. Overall it is a very powerful and nice riding truck, and it is much safer than other trucks from the year 2000.

What a great truck!
By natx on 06/13/13 07:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought in 2004. 68,000 mi. Now 160,000 mi. Contemplated trading for '07 Tundra, but couldn't. Love it too much, plus its paid for. Drives like a Camry. Comfortable. Quite too. Only had to replace radiator and valve cover gaskets. No other issues. Only gripe is the front brake rotors warping every year. I can switch out the front rotors in 30 minutes I've done it so often. Interior has held up very well. Known to have transmission issues with OD gear. I never tow heavy loads like my 30' RV in OD, but I tow a 12' cargo trailer full of tools and sometimes cabinets all the time in OD. No issues so far. Needs paint job, but that's my fault. Never once washed or waxed it.

great truck!!
By skylerlynn on 04/18/12 18:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad gave be the truck when I went to college in Virginia. It's been great! I drive there and home 4 times a year. Thats 1679 miles from Wyoming to VA!! 25 1/2 hours and it's still running great! I love it. I also pull the horses, not to school but locally. I would definitely buy it again.

great truck
By country_boy2 on 11/29/11 21:19 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

i love my yota, i am always looking for things to make it look better. The build isnt very sturdy how ever. The thing will dent easily and will be crushed like a tin can if in a wreck. Also it seems a little low. If you put a leveling kit on there however, that truck will look mean. It sounds fantastic with pipes. Oh and it tears through mud, even for a 2 wheel drive truck. Need new tires and the brakes need work but overall a fantastic truck. It has been through alot and always finds a way to crank up. When this baby finally quits on me, im going straight to the dealership and buying a new one. The back seat is too small, but im always driving and im a big boy, and i fit in there just fine!

Best Truck Ever........
By NKY on 04/03/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck used in Oct. 2005 with 76K and have driven daily since then. Unfailingly reliable and built like a tank. Drives like a big Camry, far better than our Honda Pilot. Hauls anything in reason in total comfort. It's a bit of a gas guzzler, but what full-size 4wd pickup isn't? Can't wait to upgrade to a newer model!

Toyota Tundra Rides On
By Bob on 03/31/10 11:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Sold my 93 4WD pick up with 233,000 miles. Purchased this for $8500 with 111,000 miles. After driving it for two month and through three blizzards I must say I'm impressed. It's eerie to drive through 3 feet of snow in almost total silence. I found the original invoice, close to 36,000. This is the Limited model with few features. Everything works as it should and the ride is much better then I expected. On highways you really don't know you're in a truck. Not a luxury ride but pretty good. In the meantime I look forward to many more miles. You can't expect to have a truck and not have maintenance costs. None so far but I believe in preventative maintenance.

Cracked manifolds
By blaine on 03/26/10 09:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new and started having problems after the first year. Wiring harness under spare tire burned off,the frond drive housing was not properly tightened and stripped the threads causing the 4wd to be replaced. the dealership said it was fixed and it happened again,so i took it to a back yard mechanic and he fixed it again replacing the frond drive AGAIN. Then cracked manifolds. check your rear bumper it is also probably rusted off. MY LAST TOYOTA.

Solid and reliable
By jtb on 03/18/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love Toyotas and will always own at least one. 100% reliable is why they get my business. However, this truck is weak and a total gas hog. Not made for pulling anything heavier than a jon boat. Look for to owning a full size Tundra.

Love It
By Love It on 02/17/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have over 130k on my truck and it still runs like a champ. I've never had any problems with it... not even one. I only change my oil once or twice a year and I beat the heck out of it but can't seem to break it. I'll own this truck until it dies and then I'll buy another Tundra. There are some minor changes that I made. I added a rear leaf springs because the stock one was two light for hauling loads. Also I didn't like the look of the front end pointing downward so I added body leveling rings. Finally I added some tougher looking wheels.