1997 Toyota Tercel Consumer Review: Even after 13 years, I still l

1997 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Review

CE Coupe (1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Even after 13 years, I still love it!
By Mike Ross on

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2dr Coupe

My first Toyota was an 81 Starlet. Loved it. So I bought a new 97 Tercel, 16 years later! Three boys learned to drive on the Tercel! Best car I've ever owned. All three boys have become Toyota owners, too. Also recruited my sister and brother, nephew and niece into the Toy family! Great styling, great gas mileage, 1 tune up with 2 timing belts, regular oil changes. Love the stainless steel exhaust which has never been replaced. I know some day it will die, but if/when that happens, I will not be a happy camper! No rust, and I live in St. Louis. The exterior still looks new! Couldn't ask for a better car.

Quiet engine....love the 5 speed manual. I actually still love to drive the car, even after 13 years!

Contents in the cup holder interferes with the gear shift! Big Deal! And the cassette player has never worked properly---it eats tapes and always have. Again, big deal!