Used 1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan - Consumer Reviews

CE 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

My first car and a great car
By meekos

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my neighbor as my first car when I was 16 (2 years ago) for 1,200$. It had 179,000 miles on it or more when I bought it. It now has 198,000 miles and has been running great. I have only had to replace the radiator (which is a common repair needed for this particular car), valve lifters and brakes on this car since I have had it. Right now my idle air control valve is going bad (which is also a common repair needed done) but she is still chugging as I save up to pay for the repair. Honestly, this is a great car. I have never been stranded with it and it gets amazing gas mileage. I love this car. I can't imagine driving another one. Also my car is automatic not manual.

I love the great gas mileage this car gets. I also love have maneuverable it is. It is also a very reliable car.

I don't know about suggested improvement but I will say if you are looking to buy this car and it is coming with high mileage (which it most likely will), make sure you can either afford to replace the radiator when it goes bad, or that they previous owner had it replaced. Additionally, I am not sure if this is common with all of the cars, but the body on my tercel has some significant rust (it isn't too bad but significant enough to raise a little bit of concern). So just beware of that. Lastly beware of a tercel that has a high idle. That means their idle air control valve is going bad and that is an expensive fix and will burn your oil until you can get it replaced.

Best Toyota Ever!!!
By 5thtoyota

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I am on my 5th Toyota mostly Corolla's and this was my first Tercel (1997). I bought it 10 years ago for a mere $4,000, 60,000 miles, in great shape! I have taken good care of it with regular maintenance and it runs circles around my new Camry!!! Runs like a top, drives like a Champion, purrs like a kitten & STILL gets a WHOPPING 36 CITY!!! I never even drive the new Camry since I like this one better!! AND, the A/C works much better than the new Camry!!!! I hope my baby car NEVER dies!!!!

36 mph, city Runs like a TOP A/C freezes you out Never left me stranded on the side of the road

MAKE A NEW MODEL OF THE SAME CAR!!!!!

Manson
By Brianna

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I got Manson, my tercel, from my grandparents. I learned how to drive in it and it's great for driving and has awesome fuel economy, but it kinda kills my hotness scale. It's a great car for learners who don't really car about their image. Had to replace the cardboard speakers. Make sure you don't get in any accidents, because the car will be creamed and the car you hit will only have minor damage. So overall, great car and wonderful gas mileage if you don't get in accidents and don't care about being called a grandma on the road.

gas mileage

the car itself should be a little sturdier. I'm pretty sure its made out of plastic.

luv my tercel
By fajardog

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I love my new (to me) tercel, which I got with only 30,000 miles on it. I wanted to downsize everything; insurance, gas and repair bill and overall vehicle size. I had a Mercedes and I just got tired of it putting me in the poor house. I'm 6 feet tall and 225 lbs. and I'm perfectly comfortable driving this car. So far it hasn't let me down and I don't see it ever giving me a problem. I hope we have a long life together.

Gas mileage, reliability, easy to drive, cheap insurance.

I wish I had cruise control.

Toyota should've kept the Tercel
By RAV

1997 Toyota Tercel Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

My Tercel was a great car. I bought it with about 30,000 miles on it. It was relaible, stylish (compared to the ECHO), and very fun to drive. I could go almost 2 weeks on a tank of gas (all auto cars should come with overdrive standard). I drove it up steep hills in deep snow/ice with no problem. I am certain I wouldve never had a problem with it ever, had it not been totalled in an accident where I was rear ended. The crumple zones worked TOO well, and it was a total loss.I replaced it with a 97 Honda Accord, but I will Sorely miss that Tercel.At only 62,000 miles it was gone too soon.

Body styling, Peppy performance.Awesome gas mileage.Easy to use durable controls.Great interior utilities (cupholders, mapholders)Excellent solid craftsmanship (pieces werent falling off at 60K).An AC that could freeze one's pants off.

More noise deadening materials, better sound system. Intermittent stop lights (that blink a little when you stop, couldve prevented my accident), daytime running lights.Trunk light (I couldnt find one).