Used 1997 Toyota Tercel CE Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

248,000 miles, she deserves a rest
By Happy

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

Bought with 30K, only problems two cats and one CV joint. Tranny's now becoming cantankerous. Best car in the world!

Toyota For Life
By emily joones

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

I've have driven all the American vehicle more than once but, I never dreamed that a Toyota would change my mind about driving. I have driven my '97" tercel for 2 yrs. W/o any major problems. I accumulated close to 300,000 miles. Love the dependability especially when your grandchildren are expecting to attend their sporting events. You have my vote for value.

Favorite Features

Safety, Dependability and good Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioner system.The connection signals are good but,when you turn system on it kicks on then shutdown any suggestion on repairing this problem

Even after 13 years, I still love it!
By Mike Ross

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

My first Toyota was an 81 Starlet. Loved it. So I bought a new 97 Tercel, 16 years later! Three boys learned to drive on the Tercel! Best car I've ever owned. All three boys have become Toyota owners, too. Also recruited my sister and brother, nephew and niece into the Toy family! Great styling, great gas mileage, 1 tune up with 2 timing belts, regular oil changes. Love the stainless steel exhaust which has never been replaced. I know some day it will die, but if/when that happens, I will not be a happy camper! No rust, and I live in St. Louis. The exterior still looks new! Couldn't ask for a better car.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine....love the 5 speed manual. I actually still love to drive the car, even after 13 years!

Suggested Improvements

Contents in the cup holder interferes with the gear shift! Big Deal! And the cassette player has never worked properly---it eats tapes and always have. Again, big deal!

Best car I ever owned!
By Greta427

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

The 97 Tercel was my first brand new car. I loved the sporty design and how the 5 speed was so smooth compared to my prior 85 Honda Accord. This car was fun to drive and super reliable. Never had any problems. Would have kept it forever had it not been totaled in an accident.

Favorite Features

Fun, sporty, and lots of pickup.

Suggested Improvements

None. This is an excellent car.

Pinky's review
By 1GRLRVLTN

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

Pinkymarie (yes my car is Pink!) has been with me for 6 years! I bought her at 27,000 miles she now is at 115,670 miles & there has been no major repair done to her except a bearing that was recently replaced. She has been to Florida, Maryland, Virginia & Ohio without a peep. Miles per gallon have been wonderful about 37.1 mpg. It's also a great car for those who love to custom adapt them (pimp their ride.) I love her! and am planning to drive it until she's on one wheel. LOL!

Favorite Features

How the backseats are accessible to the trunk, it's size and shape, mileage per gallon and its maneuverability. ( with and without rims )

Suggested Improvements

Mirrors in visors,power controls for rear view and side mirrors. better seat durability.