1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
248,000 miles, she deserves a rest
By Happy on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

Bought with 30K, only problems two cats and one CV joint. Tranny's now becoming cantankerous. Best car in the world!

Toyota For Life
By emily joones on 08/13/10 06:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

I've have driven all the American vehicle more than once but, I never dreamed that a Toyota would change my mind about driving. I have driven my '97" tercel for 2 yrs. W/o any major problems. I accumulated close to 300,000 miles. Love the dependability especially when your grandchildren are expecting to attend their sporting events. You have my vote for value.

Even after 13 years, I still love it!
By Mike Ross on 01/28/10 09:44 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

My first Toyota was an 81 Starlet. Loved it. So I bought a new 97 Tercel, 16 years later! Three boys learned to drive on the Tercel! Best car I've ever owned. All three boys have become Toyota owners, too. Also recruited my sister and brother, nephew and niece into the Toy family! Great styling, great gas mileage, 1 tune up with 2 timing belts, regular oil changes. Love the stainless steel exhaust which has never been replaced. I know some day it will die, but if/when that happens, I will not be a happy camper! No rust, and I live in St. Louis. The exterior still looks new! Couldn't ask for a better car.

Best car I ever owned!
By Greta427 on 11/16/09 08:54 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

The 97 Tercel was my first brand new car. I loved the sporty design and how the 5 speed was so smooth compared to my prior 85 Honda Accord. This car was fun to drive and super reliable. Never had any problems. Would have kept it forever had it not been totaled in an accident.

Flawless
By Flawless on 05/04/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe Limited Edition 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used in 2008, and it has been outstanding. It was driven from Florida to San Antonio, where I bought it and then driven back to FT. Benning, GA. I travel a lot and have already put 24,000 miles on it. Besides having excellent gas mileage it is very durable and dependable. I hit a deer doing 45 mph and still drove the car home without any damage to the engine. I only had to replace the hood and driver's side headlight. I have no doubt that this car would make a long trip at any given time. Toyotas have always been good products.

The Best 2 Person Car
By TJ Mik on 02/12/09 13:53 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe Limited Edition 2dr Coupe

An exceptional car with amazing performance and reliability. The controls are easy to use.

Pinky's review
By 1GRLRVLTN on 05/08/08 11:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

Pinkymarie (yes my car is Pink!) has been with me for 6 years! I bought her at 27,000 miles she now is at 115,670 miles & there has been no major repair done to her except a bearing that was recently replaced. She has been to Florida, Maryland, Virginia & Ohio without a peep. Miles per gallon have been wonderful about 37.1 mpg. It's also a great car for those who love to custom adapt them (pimp their ride.) I love her! and am planning to drive it until she's on one wheel. LOL!

Simple, Dependable, Low Cost to own
By otto on 08/25/06 21:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

i have not owned my tercel that long. but i bought mine after having known others that used theirs for years with no problems. Overall average of about 32mpg. probably about 37mpg on the highway. no problems with the car, the old owner said the same. I got it with lower than average miles, about 72000. The design is very simple, so things like installing a stereo or mechanical work is easy to do yourself. Not much power but since the car is light it doesn't need it, so it does get peppy on the highway, but it does build speed very slowly on hills. My a/c is ice cold. A great little car, I love it.

Love the 'cel
By Alex on 08/12/06 21:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

Don't understand why Toyota stopped making these and moved on to the Echo. These are great little cars with awesome fuel economy. Built to last! Super reliable! Best student car ever!

baw_919
By baw_919 on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tercel Coupe CE 2dr Coupe

very reliable vehicle, no major repairs in 5 years.