1996 Toyota Tercel Consumer Review: Best used car I ever bought

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Review

Best used car I ever bought
By mtnsubiedriver on

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Bought a '96 four door Tercel in October of 2012 but with automatic transmission. It had 198k miles on it but ran great, other than needing new brakes. AC works fine, power steering, Got 40+ miles per gallon on the highway, 30mpg in town. I now have 207k miles on it. Needs a few things, like fan selector needs tweeking, CV joing is rattling on sharp turns, and will probably install new front calipers. High beams don't work but it is a switch problem in the column. All easy to repair I hope. I don't mind the faded paint. Bought for $1400 and won't part with it unless I find another, maybe a straight drive to get better gas mileage and cruise control.

Gas mileage, simple manual controls, like the mirrors and windows, good visibility, but I miss cruise control. Typical road noise for a small car but I don't mind. Snow tires make it go well in snow. Definitely not a chick magnet but at my age, who cares.

Cruise control.