1996 Toyota Tercel Consumer Review: Became a member of the family.

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe - Consumer Review

Became a member of the family...
By hotrod8983 on

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought our Tercel new in '96, joking that our 7-year old would drive it someday. She's now 21. She's still driving it. Yes, being a young college student she sometimes complains that it's not 'pretty' like some of the newer cars her classmates drive, but the reliability has been nothing short of incredible. At 325,000 miles, the old girl finally gave one last blast of blue smoke and burped her last breath. Our daughter actually cried. while she shopped with her mother for another car, I installed a rebuilt engine and she couldn't be happier. Another 300,000 miles? I don't see why not!

Reliability. If I had the patience to type that word a thousand times I would. Even with an automatic we still get 37 mpg on the highway, and average about 28 in town. What repairs we've had to make are consistant with any car that has this many miles, and parts are readily available.

A bit underpowered, but considering the gas mileage I can live with that. rear seat legroom is lacking, especially in the coupe. The only other complaint I have is that they don't make it anymore!!!! Toyota!!!! What are you thinking?!!