Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

There really is nothing better!
By sin-titulo

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car for less than $2000 about 4 years ago from a co-worker, intending to let me drive it while working towards getting my license. It was at 106,000k at the time, and is now at 160,000k. I have never known a better car. It started without any problems when the temperature was -30, runs smoothly and I can trust it to get me from A to B and then some(!) without ever breaking down. Gas mileage averages 38 mpg. This is my first car, and will be my last as well. I intend to keep it until it literally rusts and falls to pieces.

Favorite Features

Small car, easy to maneuver, low maintenance and incredibly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, except I think there should be more cars like this on the road.

Great value, great mpg
By SherryB

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a commuter vehicle, and have been very impressed. I'm shocked that it doesn't hold its value better, because it runs and drives just as well now as it did in 1996. It's still very reliable and gets about 39 mpg. Its only disadvantage is it's kinda loud.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

1996 Toyota Tercel DX
By michael

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I may have been favoring it a bit in the ratings system but it depends what your comparing it to. As far as suiting its purpose, this is a very reliable car. Complaints about its lack of power are crazy if you ask me. I used boesch platinum twin spark plugs combined with castrol gtx motor oil and proper maintenance it is the perfect car for a daily commuter, and or somone who enjoys driving eficient non intrusive eco friendly, did I mention reliable, vehicle for less than 5,000 dollars.

Favorite Features

O/D and a wonderful second gear.

Suggested Improvements

More aftermarket upgrades and wider standard issue tires. And a bit more agressive front end.

a lasting forever car
By sean

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I owned this car when it was 80k, and now it is 145k. Never had any problem, and I feel the accelaration is alright since mine is a 4-speed manual, and actually it is quicker than 80% of those none-sports beside you if you push ot harder. The original tire is quite thin, so I change the tires and I think that's a must. I am well prepared to see one day this car dies but that didn't happen, and now this car's engine still powerful and only little bit noise coming from the engine. I think it can still run 20000 without problem.So I cannot wait to get another new car from toyota (a Scion tc) but I will keep it as well.The gas mileage is now around 35 (highway, local combined), and it used to be 40.

Favorite Features

Gas saver, long life

Suggested Improvements

For this car none, the purpose of this car is to run and run.

Basic transportation
By fritzyoski

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought the vehicle new in 2/96. It now has 148K trouble free miles. Started using a little oil in recent years, about 1 qt per 3000 miles. Replaced timing- and drive belts every 60K and regular oil changes. The only (!) unscheduled maintenance was at 115K when some emission sensor went bad and the check engine light came on. Cost $400 to replace. Never ever let me down.

Favorite Features

Reliability and fuel economy. With the standard 4spd. manual I get around 38 in the city and 43mpg on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Best car for the money. Spacing between the gears is somewhat long, a 5th gear would have helped. Acceleration is sluggish but is an economy car, not a race car.