1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Tercel review
By Tara Swayzee on 06/16/05 11:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I've owned this vehicle for almost 9 years and it's been amazingly reliable and fun to drive. I've logged 124,500 miles without any major maintenance/repair work and am confident that it will last another 100,00 miles!

Fuel sipper and nothing else.
By TT2DC on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I got this car over a month ago and I can see the great gas mileage everyone is talking about. I mean how could you disagree with 33mpg in city driving, which is pretty much all I do with this car(not a good highway car). However some features in this car are annoying. For example when I open the trunk, I have to bend down to get my luggage, when the trunk lid just falls on my head...OUCH!!! Where are the trunk lid holders or whatever you call'em. I'm 5'8" and the car inside feels so small, or maybe it's just me. The last thing is the 4spd. gear box. I mean those are so outdated, though I'm glad I have one because the automatic with 93hp. wouldn't work very well.

run run tercel, run run tercel, run run!
By nosretep on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

this car is amazing. this "point A to point B" vehicle gave me more of itself than I ever could have imagined when I bought it 5 years ago. I tool on her. i give it no love whatsoever, and she keeps on kicking. I swear that she can go 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds. i'm going to miss her after we part, but it's time for us to go our seperate ways, as i'm eyeing a new lover in a V6 tacoma 4x4. Hey! I need to put the snowboard somewhere!

good little car for the price
By friendly on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

excellent car for the price

Great Car
By Gas Miser on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This car is very reliable. It will run forever. I have 95K miles and it will get another 150K no problem. I change the oil and thats it. The car always starts. No Problems great car built by Toyota.

1996 Toyota Tercel
By jessica on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I enjoy my Tercel because it is a great reliable car that I don't have to worry about having problems. My only problem that has happened to the car is the back trunk seal had to be adjusted and sealant had to be put down because of water getting int the trunk.

Can't be better
By KevinP on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I never thought I would be praising a car so much as I do this little one! It's an amazing piece of engineering, and starts no matter how cold it is outside. (I use sythetic oil, which helps). Quite simply the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I keep expecting things to go wrong, but the car just keeps on going regardless. I cannot recommend it enough.

Great Car
By BrianV on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I ever owned. I put about 75,000 miles on it and then gave it to my sister. At any rate, I drove this thing so hard, redline almost every shift, slammed on the brakes a lot, etc. I was 16, I didn't know any better. At any rate the car never failed, it needed a new idle sensor once and that was it. Great car, gas mileage is ok if you don't drive fast, but this car really needs to be floored a lot to get it to move so the gas milage goes down. Stock tires are way too thin, unsafe in the rain. Car looks good, interior is decent quality. Good first car.

I love my car
By skateboard on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Best car I ever own. Great gas mileage. Never had to take it to the dealer except for timing belt change and oil changes. It has never failed to start regardless of how cold it is. Enough power from the 4 cylinders to cruise at 75-80 mph.

Lil' workhorse
By Dwayne on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 96 Tercel 'Sport' model new. Reliable car as i drive approx 60,000 miles per year. Sold the car at 260,000 miles. Only maintenance performed was fluids (oils, antifreeze, top up brake fluid, 3 sets of brake pads and 5 sets of tires, 4 timing belts as per schedule.). Obviously a very reliable little car. I wish Toyota would have made the seats a little more comfortable though.