1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Great car
By bjjohnson on 11/10/08 19:31 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a program car in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 232000 miles, still gets 42 mpg and is just now starting to require a lot of maintenance and repair. We took it on a 2 week, 4200 mile trip and it was very comfortable and performed well both on long stretches of interstate and in the city.

Little car with lots of heart
By debersue on 04/07/08 20:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new and never expected to keep it this long. It's peppy and very low maintenance so I'm keeping it until it dies. So far I have 150,000 miles with no sign of stopping. I love this car!

Ode to My Tercel
By billjriv on 04/04/08 23:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

You go down in history as one of the best cars ever invented. I love my Tercel and she has been through everything with me through thick and thin. Keeps going and going. I wish they'd bring back the Tercel like the old wagons with 4wd. You could camp in them, haul stuff around they were the perfect car, even for a family. This 96 model is great, it is a great cheap car with the gas mileage similar to a Prius for $20000 less.

Love this car
By Big_Mikey on 03/06/08 23:31 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Purchased car new (11/95) and has been a great car. During years 2001-2006 car was driven often from LA to Las Vegas in excessive heat. Replaced engine at 171K with used engine (84K) and car continues to run like new. Avoided fancy options other than A/C and auto transmission. Performed regular and proper service on car and interior/exterior is in great shape for 12 year old car. I plan to keep this car for several more years and often people make offers for the car. 26 MPG city as much as 33 MPG hwy. Always use just 87 octane and regular 10W30 motor oil every 4000. Now that I am living in Las Vegas, I keep an eye on coolant and transmission oil more closely. I will never sell!

Tercel baby love
By sharon on 02/29/08 07:26 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 8 years ago and it now has 134,000 miles. I plan on getting to 250,000. As a tall person, 5'10, I wish it had a bit more room. It's totally reliable, easy to park in the city. Got flooded a few years ago and started on the first turn of the key. While other cars were being towed, only the upholstery needed cleaning.

There really is nothing better!
By sin-titulo on 10/03/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car for less than $2000 about 4 years ago from a co-worker, intending to let me drive it while working towards getting my license. It was at 106,000k at the time, and is now at 160,000k. I have never known a better car. It started without any problems when the temperature was -30, runs smoothly and I can trust it to get me from A to B and then some(!) without ever breaking down. Gas mileage averages 38 mpg. This is my first car, and will be my last as well. I intend to keep it until it literally rusts and falls to pieces.

Great value, great mpg
By SherryB on 04/09/07 10:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a commuter vehicle, and have been very impressed. I'm shocked that it doesn't hold its value better, because it runs and drives just as well now as it did in 1996. It's still very reliable and gets about 39 mpg. Its only disadvantage is it's kinda loud.

1996 Toyota Tercel DX
By michael on 10/19/06 18:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I may have been favoring it a bit in the ratings system but it depends what your comparing it to. As far as suiting its purpose, this is a very reliable car. Complaints about its lack of power are crazy if you ask me. I used boesch platinum twin spark plugs combined with castrol gtx motor oil and proper maintenance it is the perfect car for a daily commuter, and or somone who enjoys driving eficient non intrusive eco friendly, did I mention reliable, vehicle for less than 5,000 dollars.

a lasting forever car
By sean on 04/10/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I owned this car when it was 80k, and now it is 145k. Never had any problem, and I feel the accelaration is alright since mine is a 4-speed manual, and actually it is quicker than 80% of those none-sports beside you if you push ot harder. The original tire is quite thin, so I change the tires and I think that's a must. I am well prepared to see one day this car dies but that didn't happen, and now this car's engine still powerful and only little bit noise coming from the engine. I think it can still run 20000 without problem.So I cannot wait to get another new car from toyota (a Scion tc) but I will keep it as well.The gas mileage is now around 35 (highway, local combined), and it used to be 40.

Basic transportation
By fritzyoski on 07/07/05 14:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought the vehicle new in 2/96. It now has 148K trouble free miles. Started using a little oil in recent years, about 1 qt per 3000 miles. Replaced timing- and drive belts every 60K and regular oil changes. The only (!) unscheduled maintenance was at 115K when some emission sensor went bad and the check engine light came on. Cost $400 to replace. Never ever let me down.