Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan

DX 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

Best used car I ever bought
By mtnsubiedriver

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought a '96 four door Tercel in October of 2012 but with automatic transmission. It had 198k miles on it but ran great, other than needing new brakes. AC works fine, power steering, Got 40+ miles per gallon on the highway, 30mpg in town. I now have 207k miles on it. Needs a few things, like fan selector needs tweeking, CV joing is rattling on sharp turns, and will probably install new front calipers. High beams don't work but it is a switch problem in the column. All easy to repair I hope. I don't mind the faded paint. Bought for $1400 and won't part with it unless I find another, maybe a straight drive to get better gas mileage and cruise control.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, simple manual controls, like the mirrors and windows, good visibility, but I miss cruise control. Typical road noise for a small car but I don't mind. Snow tires make it go well in snow. Definitely not a chick magnet but at my age, who cares.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control.

Don't need a new car!
By marambre

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Tercel has more than 221,000 miles! I have never had any problems at all!!! I have changed the timing-belt twice, just regular maintenance, and have changed the oil religiously every 3000 miles- Castrol GTX 10-30. It's not the prettiest car on the road but I can't rationalize buying a new one.

Favorite Features

Fold-down rear seats for my fishing poles.

Suggested Improvements

noise reduction

There really is nothing better!
By sin-titulo

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car for less than $2000 about 4 years ago from a co-worker, intending to let me drive it while working towards getting my license. It was at 106,000k at the time, and is now at 160,000k. I have never known a better car. It started without any problems when the temperature was -30, runs smoothly and I can trust it to get me from A to B and then some(!) without ever breaking down. Gas mileage averages 38 mpg. This is my first car, and will be my last as well. I intend to keep it until it literally rusts and falls to pieces.

Favorite Features

Small car, easy to maneuver, low maintenance and incredibly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, except I think there should be more cars like this on the road.

1996 Toyota Tercel DX
By michael

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I may have been favoring it a bit in the ratings system but it depends what your comparing it to. As far as suiting its purpose, this is a very reliable car. Complaints about its lack of power are crazy if you ask me. I used boesch platinum twin spark plugs combined with castrol gtx motor oil and proper maintenance it is the perfect car for a daily commuter, and or somone who enjoys driving eficient non intrusive eco friendly, did I mention reliable, vehicle for less than 5,000 dollars.

Favorite Features

O/D and a wonderful second gear.

Suggested Improvements

More aftermarket upgrades and wider standard issue tires. And a bit more agressive front end.

1996 Toyota Tercel
By jessica

1996 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I enjoy my Tercel because it is a great reliable car that I don't have to worry about having problems. My only problem that has happened to the car is the back trunk seal had to be adjusted and sealant had to be put down because of water getting int the trunk.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature would have to be that the back seats fold down for extra room in getting things in the car.

Suggested Improvements

This car does not handle well on the highway. It takes awhile to pick up, to finally reach speed, and also can blow around on the highway being that the car is not very heavy.