Used 1996 Toyota Tercel DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Became a member of the family...
By hotrod8983

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought our Tercel new in '96, joking that our 7-year old would drive it someday. She's now 21. She's still driving it. Yes, being a young college student she sometimes complains that it's not 'pretty' like some of the newer cars her classmates drive, but the reliability has been nothing short of incredible. At 325,000 miles, the old girl finally gave one last blast of blue smoke and burped her last breath. Our daughter actually cried. while she shopped with her mother for another car, I installed a rebuilt engine and she couldn't be happier. Another 300,000 miles? I don't see why not!

Favorite Features

Reliability. If I had the patience to type that word a thousand times I would. Even with an automatic we still get 37 mpg on the highway, and average about 28 in town. What repairs we've had to make are consistant with any car that has this many miles, and parts are readily available.

Suggested Improvements

A bit underpowered, but considering the gas mileage I can live with that. rear seat legroom is lacking, especially in the coupe. The only other complaint I have is that they don't make it anymore!!!! Toyota!!!! What are you thinking?!!

Great car
By bjjohnson

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a program car in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 232000 miles, still gets 42 mpg and is just now starting to require a lot of maintenance and repair. We took it on a 2 week, 4200 mile trip and it was very comfortable and performed well both on long stretches of interstate and in the city.

Favorite Features

reliability and fuel economy

Great value, great mpg
By SherryB

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a commuter vehicle, and have been very impressed. I'm shocked that it doesn't hold its value better, because it runs and drives just as well now as it did in 1996. It's still very reliable and gets about 39 mpg. Its only disadvantage is it's kinda loud.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

good little car for the price
By friendly

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

excellent car for the price

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

bring it back!

Can't be better
By KevinP

1996 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

I never thought I would be praising a car so much as I do this little one! It's an amazing piece of engineering, and starts no matter how cold it is outside. (I use sythetic oil, which helps). Quite simply the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I keep expecting things to go wrong, but the car just keeps on going regardless. I cannot recommend it enough.

Favorite Features

Incredible gas mileage. One tank lasts me nearly 3 weeks.

Suggested Improvements

More soundproofing, since it can get quite noisy on the highway.