Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Base Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

1996 Toyota Tercel
By Hester Belisario

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

We purchased the 1996 Toyota Tercel, stick shift, two-door, for our daughter in 1999 prior to graduating high school in 2000. The mileage on the vehicle upon purchase was approximately 56,000 miles. When she moved to New York, she no longer needed a vehicle; I needed a vehicle to drive to and from work every day. Since 2007 I have been using the vehicle on the highway driving from Hernando to Tampa, approximately 160 miles (roundtrip). I cannot ask for a more reliable vehicle than this little. The performance is still good. The odometer just turned over to 400,500 miles this past week. The amount of money we have spent so far on this vehicle has not been that much, the most we was replacing the air conditioning. As I stated, I am still driving the vehicle every day at 75 miles an hour on the highway and it is still running strong. It is getting approximately 21.5 miles a gallon. Not bad for a vehicle that has that many mileage on the odometer. As far as I am concerned Toyota vehicles are the best made vehicles by far.

Best Car Ever!
By KamJess

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tercel w/53,000 miles about 9 years ago and I just had my most expensive repair (coil at $250) at 143,000! I got a newer/used Corolla and I hope it lives up to my Tercel. Reliable is an understatement. I'm having separation anxiety from having to sell it, but can't afford to maintain 2 cars. If you take care of your Tercel, it will take care of you. I'll miss "Big Red" but I think my "Silver Bullet" will rise to the challenge. I don't care what they say-TOYOTA, I'm with you for life!

Paint job, bright red and always shiny, even when dirty. Wish the newer cars had this quality.

Why bother, you don't make them anymore. Just ensure you continue to make quality cars.

Good first car
By kristina

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This car is perfect for a first car which is exactly what it is to me. It gets 27 miles to the gallon and is small, perfect for easily maneuvering and fitting into tight spots.

fuel economy - 27 mpg

power locks and windows

Point A to Point B
By Jeff

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with 229K miles on it and it currently has 240K. It's great on gas, is economical, and needs very little maintenance. Honestly the best car for those that have long commutes or need to take it into urban areas with tight parking spots. The trunk space is also very usable considering how small this car is. The manual transmission is average at best, but for the price and what this car was geared for, it's really a good car.

Miles-per-gallon. Easy access of maintenance items (oil filter, air filter, etc.). Trunk space.

For the money, it's perfect.

Best Toyota!
By D.K.

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with 119K miles. It just keeps on going like the energizer Bunny. Change the oil every 4K and keep going. Had to replace clutch at 150K. Current miles 189k. A/C blows ice cold in Tx. This car was so great, they don't make it anymore. Mpg too good for the times! 38mpg avg for me.