1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Became a member of the family...
By hotrod8983 on 03/11/11 15:29 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought our Tercel new in '96, joking that our 7-year old would drive it someday. She's now 21. She's still driving it. Yes, being a young college student she sometimes complains that it's not 'pretty' like some of the newer cars her classmates drive, but the reliability has been nothing short of incredible. At 325,000 miles, the old girl finally gave one last blast of blue smoke and burped her last breath. Our daughter actually cried. while she shopped with her mother for another car, I installed a rebuilt engine and she couldn't be happier. Another 300,000 miles? I don't see why not!

Great car
By bjjohnson on 11/10/08 19:31 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a program car in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 232000 miles, still gets 42 mpg and is just now starting to require a lot of maintenance and repair. We took it on a 2 week, 4200 mile trip and it was very comfortable and performed well both on long stretches of interstate and in the city.

Great value, great mpg
By SherryB on 04/09/07 10:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a commuter vehicle, and have been very impressed. I'm shocked that it doesn't hold its value better, because it runs and drives just as well now as it did in 1996. It's still very reliable and gets about 39 mpg. Its only disadvantage is it's kinda loud.

good little car for the price
By friendly on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

excellent car for the price

Can't be better
By KevinP on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I never thought I would be praising a car so much as I do this little one! It's an amazing piece of engineering, and starts no matter how cold it is outside. (I use sythetic oil, which helps). Quite simply the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I keep expecting things to go wrong, but the car just keeps on going regardless. I cannot recommend it enough.

Great Car
By BrianV on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I ever owned. I put about 75,000 miles on it and then gave it to my sister. At any rate, I drove this thing so hard, redline almost every shift, slammed on the brakes a lot, etc. I was 16, I didn't know any better. At any rate the car never failed, it needed a new idle sensor once and that was it. Great car, gas mileage is ok if you don't drive fast, but this car really needs to be floored a lot to get it to move so the gas milage goes down. Stock tires are way too thin, unsafe in the rain. Car looks good, interior is decent quality. Good first car.

Lil' workhorse
By dwayne on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 96 Tercel 'Sport' model new. Reliable car as i drive approx 60,000 miles per year. Sold the car at 260,000 miles. Only maintenance performed was fluids (oils, antifreeze, top up brake fluid, 3 sets of brake pads and 5 sets of tires, 4 timing belts as per schedule.). Obviously a very reliable little car. I wish Toyota would have made the seats a little more comfortable though.

Lil' workhorse
By Dwayne on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

nice car
By war amps on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

This is a really really really really really really really awesome and cool car to drive