1996 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Best used car I ever bought
By mtnsubiedriver on 02/22/13 04:41 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Bought a '96 four door Tercel in October of 2012 but with automatic transmission. It had 198k miles on it but ran great, other than needing new brakes. AC works fine, power steering, Got 40+ miles per gallon on the highway, 30mpg in town. I now have 207k miles on it. Needs a few things, like fan selector needs tweeking, CV joing is rattling on sharp turns, and will probably install new front calipers. High beams don't work but it is a switch problem in the column. All easy to repair I hope. I don't mind the faded paint. Bought for $1400 and won't part with it unless I find another, maybe a straight drive to get better gas mileage and cruise control.

Became a member of the family...
By hotrod8983 on 03/11/11 15:29 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

My wife and I bought our Tercel new in '96, joking that our 7-year old would drive it someday. She's now 21. She's still driving it. Yes, being a young college student she sometimes complains that it's not 'pretty' like some of the newer cars her classmates drive, but the reliability has been nothing short of incredible. At 325,000 miles, the old girl finally gave one last blast of blue smoke and burped her last breath. Our daughter actually cried. while she shopped with her mother for another car, I installed a rebuilt engine and she couldn't be happier. Another 300,000 miles? I don't see why not!

Best Car Ever!
By KamJess on 05/11/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tercel w/53,000 miles about 9 years ago and I just had my most expensive repair (coil at $250) at 143,000! I got a newer/used Corolla and I hope it lives up to my Tercel. Reliable is an understatement. I'm having separation anxiety from having to sell it, but can't afford to maintain 2 cars. If you take care of your Tercel, it will take care of you. I'll miss "Big Red" but I think my "Silver Bullet" will rise to the challenge. I don't care what they say-TOYOTA, I'm with you for life!

Good first car
By kristina on 04/19/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This car is perfect for a first car which is exactly what it is to me. It gets 27 miles to the gallon and is small, perfect for easily maneuvering and fitting into tight spots.

Point A to Point B
By Jeff on 08/12/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car with 229K miles on it and it currently has 240K. It's great on gas, is economical, and needs very little maintenance. Honestly the best car for those that have long commutes or need to take it into urban areas with tight parking spots. The trunk space is also very usable considering how small this car is. The manual transmission is average at best, but for the price and what this car was geared for, it's really a good car.

Don't need a new car!
By marambre on 07/25/09 14:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Tercel has more than 221,000 miles! I have never had any problems at all!!! I have changed the timing-belt twice, just regular maintenance, and have changed the oil religiously every 3000 miles- Castrol GTX 10-30. It's not the prettiest car on the road but I can't rationalize buying a new one.

Best Toyota!
By D.K. on 06/11/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with 119K miles. It just keeps on going like the energizer Bunny. Change the oil every 4K and keep going. Had to replace clutch at 150K. Current miles 189k. A/C blows ice cold in Tx. This car was so great, they don't make it anymore. Mpg too good for the times! 38mpg avg for me.

Best Car Ever!
By blaiseglaze on 05/20/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought this car when it was 2 yrs old. Don't remember the miles on it. Drove it from KY - TN several times, then from Nashville - SLC. We called her "Tinkerbelle" (called her Tink) because she made that sound. Car was comfortable, fun to drive, excellent on gas... Never once had a problem with that car. So when I sold my Hyundai, I went looking for this yr/make/model again and found a 1995 in very decent condition... Left the car at 219,000 PLUS miles.

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr
By Simon on 02/23/09 15:03 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for 6 years - bought it in 2002 with 72k on it. It now has 113k. It has had no problems, except for a minor oil leak last year. It is a great car for driving around town, although I have also done a 1000 mile road trip in it.

Toyota
By johnnyb on 01/20/09 15:27 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Only had this rig for about 8 months. Bought it w/170,000 now has 184,000. Runs great, starts on the coldest days. 0-60 in 11.8 while my girlfriends 05 Cavalier only ran 11.5. Very reliable rig. Plan to run her til she dies