1995 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
I Will Never Get Rid Of It
By t0y0ta_luvr on 10/14/11 07:33 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this brand new in 1995, a stick shift. The factory radio/cassette player has gone kaput 7 years ago, but I found a way around that. After 16 years @ 81,000 miles, it is still performing well like it's brand new. The thought of upgrading has crossed my mind plenty of times, but when I think of how reliable it has been all these years...39 miles per gallon too. It just can't be beat.

Best Car Ever
By blaiseglaze on 05/20/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

After having the 1996 version of this car, when I sold my 2000 Hyundai Sonata, I had to find another Tercel. This car is in need of minor repairs (wheel hub/bearings, CV 1/2 shaft, valve cover gasket), but that's to be expected. I'm sure it could use a tune up. It's still getting 33 mpg; I drive mostly highway. This car needs a name...

low-cost & reliable
By satisfied owner on 01/11/09 12:05 PM (PST)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought for $6k in 1998 at 50k miles, now running at 130k miles. No repairs at all, not even a tune up, still getting 31 mpg (9 gal every 2 wks on a 20 miles/day fwy commute). Replaced battery once and tires twice. Oil changed every 15k miles. Low-speed acceleration seems good for a small car, but high-speed acceleration only so-so. Good climber, runs I-5 left lane through Grapevine. Recently starting to show its age - eating oil, brakes, last smog barely passed. Too bad they don't make this model anymore - would buy it if they had one.

The Best
By best toy on 09/06/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I need cruise control!! This car has so much pep I have to watch the speedometer to not speed. Best car I've ever owned. Has 158k of which I put on about 32k and no problems. One problem is struts seem to be a weakness. But I gladly have it fixed because so much else is right. About 35-45 mpg. Great handling. No major problems

If everything else was built like this
By MY PARTNER on 04/07/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I would like to introduce the world to my special partner "TercelLauren". She is a 1995 Toyota tercel, that has 231,000 plus miles as of 4/05/08. There were no parts replaced other than wear items. This car has never left me stranded, and in over 12 years of driving it, it only died out, but restarted right away. The culprit was too much water in the bad gas that I got from a El Cheapo gas station. I went to get a fill up of tier 1 gas, and that solved the problem, has not happened again. Older cars should be fed better gas (tier 1). I am very proud of my car, the design is understated and exudes class.

A great car for my family
By Toyota Fan on 03/25/08 04:47 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought my 95 Tercel in 2000, and it had 85K miles on it already. So far till as of now (March 2008) it has 178K miles on it. It runs great! No major problem. The only thing I changed are tires, breaks, battery. I changed oil every 3K miles. I might need to change timing belt and water pumper this month. Because of the potholes in Cleveland, I replaced the joint boots once. In order to reduce the cabin noise from engine, I replace the 13" wheel with 15" wheels with 195cm tires across, and it did reduced the noise quite a bit. I believe this car can go beyond 250K miles with my regular maintenance. I love the feature that I need key to open the gas cap. 48 MPG is my record so far.

The day my best friend died
By missing my friend on 03/21/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought a brand new Tercel after I got out of college. And last week after 13 years and 280k miles, she was driven into a cow by my husband. By accident. That car rocked! I swear, she would've gone another 150k. And who needed a hybrid? She got 35/40 with absolutely no pampering. No major mechanical issues. A few clutches (my fault, not hers) and normal maintenance. Totally noisy and not the coolest looking ride but I'll remember this car forever. We'll probably get like $20 from the insurance company but she was priceless.

great little car
By boomer45 on 05/04/06 10:18 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in 1995. I only drive it 3000 miles per year, but after 10 years I think I can truthfully say it's a great car. Fun to drive, great steering, excellent brakes, fits in any parking space, good dash layout, roomy trunk for a small car. I have had zero problems, replaced the battery a year ago, that's it. Tires look like they have another 30k on them, at least. The struts are getting soft, replacements are $70 each plus inst. I sort of like the smoother ride so I think I'll put off the replacement. I get high 30s mpg around town, high 40s on the highway; last summer I got 50 mpg on one fillup, all highway driving. Keep it under 60 (not easy) for best mileage.

well earned reputation for reliability
By Jason L. on 06/30/05 01:43 AM (PDT)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought my tercel a year and a half ago and have had no problems with it other than the suspension since I use it for pizza delivery and go in and out of driveways all day. I have put 35000 miles on the car, nearly all stop and go and the car runs fine. I fully expect this car to make it to 250k miles. The car performs well for having such a small engine, and the automatic transmission is very smooth. I have made deliveries in this car when there was several inches of snow on the roads (on several occasions) and not gotten stuck.

EconoBox
By Jeffo on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Was looking at a couple of econobox - settled on this car because of availability and excellent general consumer ratings. Also, this seems to be the most reliable car in the 1995 category according to JD Powers. If you find a good used one, grab it - this is a great car for the price.