Used 1995 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

I Will Never Get Rid Of It
By t0y0ta_luvr

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this brand new in 1995, a stick shift. The factory radio/cassette player has gone kaput 7 years ago, but I found a way around that. After 16 years @ 81,000 miles, it is still performing well like it's brand new. The thought of upgrading has crossed my mind plenty of times, but when I think of how reliable it has been all these years...39 miles per gallon too. It just can't be beat.

Awesome
By justin

1995 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

Unbelievable car. 248K+ on her yet runs like most cars with 60k. incredible cars, have only needed to recharge AC. highly recommend, 36-43 mpg mix city/highway. get one if you can, you'll thank me for it.

Best car I ever owned
By Cheryl

1995 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This car handles like a second skin. Bought it with 30K miles in 2006 from a little old lady who only drove it on Sunday. It looks and drives like brand new. My mechanic replaced the (age-cracked original) tires and (original) battery and (original) filters and (original) timing/fan belts and flushed the cooling system, then told me it will last me the rest of my life with proper maintenance since I rarely drive. It has much better pick-up than my 1988(?) 2.3 liter economy Mustang hatchback had, and much better mileage too with less road noise and best of all nothing is broken on this, not even the heater core that leaked 3 times on the Mustang before I just left the thing in a junkyard.

Favorite Features

The standard factory speakers perform as well as custom replacements costing hundreds. I replaced the cassette stereo with a Sony CD player and put a 200w 12" sealed enclosure subwoofer in the trunk and now this car sounds like a symphony hall. Just put the balance forward 2dB.

Suggested Improvements

The road noise is annoying. Every economy car has that problem.

My baby is gone.
By LauraLee

1995 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This car was a $2000 gift from a relative while I was in college. It was bought at 94,000 miles. The previous owners never changed the Transmission fluid, and I was told it had formed a sludge so thick that changing it now would destroy the car. I didn't think it would last a month, but that car became my life. It took me all over the U.S. and to every beach you could imagine. I drove to de- stress, for hours every night for years. I had it up to 376,280 miles when it was viciously murdered 12/21/2009. Someone had stolen my car keys and crashed my baby into a snow plow. I've been crying ever since. I'll never find another car that's only expenses were gas and oil changes. 376,280 miles...

Favorite Features

The fact that I couldn't seem to kill it, no matter how hard I drove it, how far, or how fast. It would take on mountains regularly without complaint, as I live and drive along the Blue Ridge. This car does not break down... I realized this 5 years ago somewhere around the 200,000 mile mark

Best Car Ever
By blaiseglaze

1995 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

After having the 1996 version of this car, when I sold my 2000 Hyundai Sonata, I had to find another Tercel. This car is in need of minor repairs (wheel hub/bearings, CV 1/2 shaft, valve cover gasket), but that's to be expected. I'm sure it could use a tune up. It's still getting 33 mpg; I drive mostly highway. This car needs a name...

Favorite Features

Get up and go! Fuel economy! Size!

Suggested Improvements

I thoroughly dislike the vinyl seats!