Used 1994 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Cheap and Reliable....
By Mattie

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

For $2,500 there is not much better. I have the 5 speed (highly recommended). Good gas mileage, eats a little oil (normal for the Tercel) I have 230K on it (bought it last year with 178k) and it runs like a champ! I added lowering springs, 15" rims with low pro tires and a cold air intake and now it is almost quick. Slapped a $500 paint job on it, some tint and a sound system and I got new car looks and performance with no car note. I have only had to replace the water pump. I beat it up everyday and it wants more. Toyota sure knows what they are doing when they build cars. I bet it will run to 300K, stay tunned.

Favorite Features

Ice cold air. Gas Mileage and Reliablilty. Roomy Interior in relation to its size.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine. Better shocks and struts.

Carol's Tercel
By Carol

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought used from a seller 4 years ago, I love the car, no problems at all. Very reliable

Favorite Features

easy manevurability in tight places

best for college students
By optimus

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

How amazing it is seeing the fuel meter go slowly. I use this car to go to college and its amazing on how economical it is. Its a bit slow when full of people and cargo but when you are alone... let the good times roll. Is small to fit anywhere and it's reliable. Barely have mechanical problems with it.

You get what you pay for.
By Skrip

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This car is an IDEAL starter, HS, college, commuter car. It's my starter car and I'm still driving it(my second year). It took some serious punishment with my driving (that includes peeling out, handbrake slides, going over bumps at fairly fast speed, fast cornering), yeah it lacks power but it surely doesn't handle badly(60mph on 35mph offramp). My tercel also was consuming oil at one point, but after timing belt replacement (and oil change with it) it stopped! I managed to blow (well crack) a head gasket in it, but with a $2 bottle of radiator sealant and new spark plugs, it was back up and running. Up to this day it is still running with 90k miles on it, no engine/tranny problems

Favorite Features

-manual transmission -coupe -suspension (surprisingly it takes bumps better than many cars) and doesnt fly out on turns -ease of repair/maintenance (CHEAPEST TIRES!) -light weight (1950 lbs!!) -35mpg -surprisingly roomy (for a car its size) it fit me, 5 girls and a dog. dont ask :)

Suggested Improvements

-power -headroom -better seat upholstery material (mine's cracking in some places) -passanger seatbelt is funky, first time passangers are usually lost trying to buckle up

Reliable basic transportation
By Sharilee

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a second vehicle to go to and from work. This car is very basic-NOTHING fancy. This one is a 4 speed and has good fuel economy, but is very noisy when at higher speeds. The seams on the interior seats are coming apart in a couple of spots. We have not had any major engine problems but the driver side window hinge came apart and the window needed to be replaced. This is a good reliable very basic vehicle, but not great for long trips.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy/very basic less to go wrong.

Suggested Improvements

Better material used in seating/there are no cup holders. Better ergonomics.