1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan - Consumer Reviews

DX 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (8 reviews )
Good car
By dave350 on 03/24/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car brand new in June of 1994. This June will my 17th year with it! It has been a good car. I have replaced the water pump, starter, and blower (for the heater/AC). I am about to roll 180,000 miles on it. This car has been up and down the I-5 corridor from Seattle to Tiajuana. Burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but I know this and keep up on it. It is beginning to look its age, but it is obviously paid for and is cheap on insurance. It was a gift from my beloved grandfather who has since passed on, and I can't imagine getting rid of it. Still run real well and I don't see any reason to replace it yet. You can bet it will be another Toyata when I do.

The Car That Gives Keeps Going
By Annette on 07/08/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1994 Toyota Tercel. I bought it brand new - 14 YEARS AGO! I'm still driving it. The paint has faded & its not so pretty anymore, but it has last me many years. For the most part, the car has given me little trouble. Usually when I had a problem it was because I needed a new battery. At about 100,000 miles I had the motor rebuilt since I had a major oil leak. That was money well spent. The car still drives smooth & almost as quiet. My family used to laugh at me for driving the old car so long, but now are wanting to buy it from me with the cost of gas now, and knowing very soon I will be replacing it with another Toyota vehicle. I just hope Toyota make their cars like they use to. :)

My 1994 Tercel
By Fusto on 04/18/08 19:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This little car is so far a great answer to rising gas prices. I bought it used in 02/2005 with some 103K miles. As expected I have to replace some parts, but still he stands tall in fuel economy, reliability, always takes me anywhere I need to go. I drive some 30 miles daily to my work. Still remember that I used to fill the tank with some $18.00 a week (yeah), true believe it or not. This year for example I had to replace the starter, yeah it had the original starter from Toyota, it lasted some 13 years.This car was built to last, it's tough. Not to mention it's durability it's old school (from 1994, comparing to today's new cars). He is still a good car.

It's no Corolla
By gary b on 03/03/07 10:32 AM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was a big disappointment. After having good luck with a 91 2 door Tercel (dependable, high mileage 150k+, and awesome gas mileage), I found this car didn't live up to its older brother. I purchased the car with 60k miles. The car had a rough ride, was very cramped, and the gas mileage wasn't very impressive 26-30 mpg as opposed to the 35-40 mpg in my 91 Tercel. Wouldn't buy another one. Had a 96 corolla that got much better mileage and was a whole lot more comfortable.

Cheap and Reliable....
By Mattie on 08/29/05 23:03 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

For $2,500 there is not much better. I have the 5 speed (highly recommended). Good gas mileage, eats a little oil (normal for the Tercel) I have 230K on it (bought it last year with 178k) and it runs like a champ! I added lowering springs, 15" rims with low pro tires and a cold air intake and now it is almost quick. Slapped a $500 paint job on it, some tint and a sound system and I got new car looks and performance with no car note. I have only had to replace the water pump. I beat it up everyday and it wants more. Toyota sure knows what they are doing when they build cars. I bet it will run to 300K, stay tunned.

What the heck..... it runs
By Jeff Popp on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used at 60K and found it quickly going through oil. It started out needing a quart about every 1500 miles and eventually degraded to every 400. On the recommend on my mechanic (he thinks it has a cracked ring) I switched to 20-50w oil returned to 800 miles. It is NOT comfortable, NOT roomy (I'm 6-3) and NOT fun to drive. It is a pig on hills and you can forget about trying to pass anyone on a two-lane road. But it has always gotten me where I need to go and may continue to putt on for who knows how long. It now has 134K miles and I am giving it away to our church.

Toyota Quality in Tercel
By lattedude on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, this is a basic car. Yes, this is not a girl/guy picker-upper. However, it is as these other review say it is; A very dependable, realiable, economically designed vechile. I like the basic features of this car. Manual windows, non-powered lock doors and the remote control like car antenna. The basic function of this geneuine japan manufacture car is consistant quality and realiability.

Toyota Tercel
By Allen Grosser on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was picked because of ratings in Consumer Reports at the time. It has more than lived up to its reputation. It got my wife back and forth to college for two years on a 135 mile round trip commute. Now it gets her around in town. In 8 years, after 100,000 miles, we've never had a major problem with it.