Used 1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan

DX 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

Good car
By dave350

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car brand new in June of 1994. This June will my 17th year with it! It has been a good car. I have replaced the water pump, starter, and blower (for the heater/AC). I am about to roll 180,000 miles on it. This car has been up and down the I-5 corridor from Seattle to Tiajuana. Burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but I know this and keep up on it. It is beginning to look its age, but it is obviously paid for and is cheap on insurance. It was a gift from my beloved grandfather who has since passed on, and I can't imagine getting rid of it. Still run real well and I don't see any reason to replace it yet. You can bet it will be another Toyata when I do.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual. Air conditioning. Reliability. Cheap tires. Still gets very good gas mileage (30+).

Suggested Improvements

None. It is nothing more and nothing less than what one would expect.

The Car That Gives Keeps Going
By Annette

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1994 Toyota Tercel. I bought it brand new - 14 YEARS AGO! I'm still driving it. The paint has faded & its not so pretty anymore, but it has last me many years. For the most part, the car has given me little trouble. Usually when I had a problem it was because I needed a new battery. At about 100,000 miles I had the motor rebuilt since I had a major oil leak. That was money well spent. The car still drives smooth & almost as quiet. My family used to laugh at me for driving the old car so long, but now are wanting to buy it from me with the cost of gas now, and knowing very soon I will be replacing it with another Toyota vehicle. I just hope Toyota make their cars like they use to. :)

Favorite Features

No frills car but it's comfortable and reliable. It has a little clock in the dash board that has been helpful to get to work on time all these years.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would probably be to add another coat of paint to prevent paint from fading. Paint on the car should hold up longer. Also, the covering on clutch has crumbled away.The material should be better.

My 1994 Tercel
By Fusto

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This little car is so far a great answer to rising gas prices. I bought it used in 02/2005 with some 103K miles. As expected I have to replace some parts, but still he stands tall in fuel economy, reliability, always takes me anywhere I need to go. I drive some 30 miles daily to my work. Still remember that I used to fill the tank with some $18.00 a week (yeah), true believe it or not. This year for example I had to replace the starter, yeah it had the original starter from Toyota, it lasted some 13 years.This car was built to last, it's tough. Not to mention it's durability it's old school (from 1994, comparing to today's new cars). He is still a good car.

Favorite Features

Hates gas, easy to drive, fun design. Parts last more than you might think

Suggested Improvements

More room for tall people. I'm 5'8 so I have no problem but for someone big, that's an issue. He's also slow to switch lanes but aging it's a factor that can't be overlook

It's no Corolla
By gary b

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was a big disappointment. After having good luck with a 91 2 door Tercel (dependable, high mileage 150k+, and awesome gas mileage), I found this car didn't live up to its older brother. I purchased the car with 60k miles. The car had a rough ride, was very cramped, and the gas mileage wasn't very impressive 26-30 mpg as opposed to the 35-40 mpg in my 91 Tercel. Wouldn't buy another one. Had a 96 corolla that got much better mileage and was a whole lot more comfortable.

Favorite Features

Dependable, inexpensive to repair.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, interior room, ride comfort, less road noise, etc.

Cheap and Reliable....
By Mattie

1994 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

For $2,500 there is not much better. I have the 5 speed (highly recommended). Good gas mileage, eats a little oil (normal for the Tercel) I have 230K on it (bought it last year with 178k) and it runs like a champ! I added lowering springs, 15" rims with low pro tires and a cold air intake and now it is almost quick. Slapped a $500 paint job on it, some tint and a sound system and I got new car looks and performance with no car note. I have only had to replace the water pump. I beat it up everyday and it wants more. Toyota sure knows what they are doing when they build cars. I bet it will run to 300K, stay tunned.

Favorite Features

Ice cold air. Gas Mileage and Reliablilty. Roomy Interior in relation to its size.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine. Better shocks and struts.