Used 1994 Toyota Tercel Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1994 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Starter car
By Jim Boy

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I'm 18 I got this car a little over a year ago its great. I have 235,000 miles on it and I take it on a 420 mile round trip (avg mpg 42) every other week. I live in the bay and force it to drive fast. It sounds a little rough when giving it gas but it has never given out and always starts. We own two of these because they are great cars. I have 3 other friends with this car and they all have over 270,000 miles. The car handles great I took a turn 20 mph turn at 55 learned all the weight is in the front.

Favorite Features

Reliability even on long trips every other week at 235,000 miles and getting 42 mpg

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to make more cars like this, basic nothing extra(to go wrong)

Best mistake I ever made
By Joe

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

The dealer saw me coming and I spent $1000 more than it was worth in '94. No regrets. 215000 miles and the car has started every single time I turned the key. Every time. Simply amazing. Replaced the water pump at 97000 miles but warranty covered it. Except for regular maintenance items almost everything else on the car is original and still working fine. With 4-speed stick it is faster than the 5-speed Audi I owned before. With high performance tires it will freakin' corner at 50 mph. (Yes, I did it once, but only once, you corner at 50 anything that isn't attached goes flying.) I am getting a new car now but only because I am nervous at such high mileage driving in NYC area.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

None.

220k reliable
By peggy

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

220k and still going reliably and painlessly. Starts at -20 tho the shifting is very stiff until the car warms up, great gas mileage at 34 mpg. It now needs oil along with gas and leaves a blue cloud when it starts.

Favorite Features

Small and very easy to park. Sturdy and reliable like none other.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down backseat to use the trunk space more flexibly.

The Little Car that Could!
By Jolly Green

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this as my first real car 5 years ago and have since put 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't have much power (having the manual lets you strangle every ounce out of it), but it gets you there in the end. Reliability has been almost perfect, the only thing I had to change was the starter motor. It burns about 1/3 quart of oil per tank, but I can live with that. My biggest complaint against the car is that it is not good for tall drivers, I'm 6'4", and on long trips it destroys my back. It has only been recently that I have been driving a lot, I got a new job where I drive 500 miles a week, so sadly the car had to go. But if you're just looking for a basic car that doesn't break, this is it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!! With normal driving I averaged 36-38, if I was really gentle on the throttle I could squeak out 43. Also the almost perfect reliability. Everything you can expect in a great but basic car.

Suggested Improvements

Keep in mind this is a very basic car but there are always the standards, more sound proofing, more power, more comfortable seats, more leg room.

Decent Car
By bwible

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought car in 1996 with 43k miles on it. 4-spd manual got only decent 29 MPG. Oil light came on at 80k. I was told by the dealer that you have to change oil every 3k or the valves burn up. Replaced the ignition silenoid at 100k. Engine light came on soon after and had to replace EGR gasket. Car was overheating at 149k and needed new head gasket so I sold it. The seats tore apart after only a few years - and that was with seat covers. Paint starting coming off after about 7 years old. Overall though, it was a good, cheap car to get me through college.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive and fairly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, paint, oil burning