Used 1994 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Good car
By dave350

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car brand new in June of 1994. This June will my 17th year with it! It has been a good car. I have replaced the water pump, starter, and blower (for the heater/AC). I am about to roll 180,000 miles on it. This car has been up and down the I-5 corridor from Seattle to Tiajuana. Burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but I know this and keep up on it. It is beginning to look its age, but it is obviously paid for and is cheap on insurance. It was a gift from my beloved grandfather who has since passed on, and I can't imagine getting rid of it. Still run real well and I don't see any reason to replace it yet. You can bet it will be another Toyata when I do.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual. Air conditioning. Reliability. Cheap tires. Still gets very good gas mileage (30+).

Suggested Improvements

None. It is nothing more and nothing less than what one would expect.

Starter car
By Jim Boy

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I'm 18 I got this car a little over a year ago its great. I have 235,000 miles on it and I take it on a 420 mile round trip (avg mpg 42) every other week. I live in the bay and force it to drive fast. It sounds a little rough when giving it gas but it has never given out and always starts. We own two of these because they are great cars. I have 3 other friends with this car and they all have over 270,000 miles. The car handles great I took a turn 20 mph turn at 55 learned all the weight is in the front.

Favorite Features

Reliability even on long trips every other week at 235,000 miles and getting 42 mpg

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to make more cars like this, basic nothing extra(to go wrong)

Best mistake I ever made
By Joe

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

The dealer saw me coming and I spent $1000 more than it was worth in '94. No regrets. 215000 miles and the car has started every single time I turned the key. Every time. Simply amazing. Replaced the water pump at 97000 miles but warranty covered it. Except for regular maintenance items almost everything else on the car is original and still working fine. With 4-speed stick it is faster than the 5-speed Audi I owned before. With high performance tires it will freakin' corner at 50 mph. (Yes, I did it once, but only once, you corner at 50 anything that isn't attached goes flying.) I am getting a new car now but only because I am nervous at such high mileage driving in NYC area.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

None.

220k reliable
By peggy

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

220k and still going reliably and painlessly. Starts at -20 tho the shifting is very stiff until the car warms up, great gas mileage at 34 mpg. It now needs oil along with gas and leaves a blue cloud when it starts.

Favorite Features

Small and very easy to park. Sturdy and reliable like none other.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down backseat to use the trunk space more flexibly.

The Car That Gives Keeps Going
By Annette

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1994 Toyota Tercel. I bought it brand new - 14 YEARS AGO! I'm still driving it. The paint has faded & its not so pretty anymore, but it has last me many years. For the most part, the car has given me little trouble. Usually when I had a problem it was because I needed a new battery. At about 100,000 miles I had the motor rebuilt since I had a major oil leak. That was money well spent. The car still drives smooth & almost as quiet. My family used to laugh at me for driving the old car so long, but now are wanting to buy it from me with the cost of gas now, and knowing very soon I will be replacing it with another Toyota vehicle. I just hope Toyota make their cars like they use to. :)

Favorite Features

No frills car but it's comfortable and reliable. It has a little clock in the dash board that has been helpful to get to work on time all these years.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would probably be to add another coat of paint to prevent paint from fading. Paint on the car should hold up longer. Also, the covering on clutch has crumbled away.The material should be better.