1994 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Good car
By dave350 on 03/24/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car brand new in June of 1994. This June will my 17th year with it! It has been a good car. I have replaced the water pump, starter, and blower (for the heater/AC). I am about to roll 180,000 miles on it. This car has been up and down the I-5 corridor from Seattle to Tiajuana. Burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but I know this and keep up on it. It is beginning to look its age, but it is obviously paid for and is cheap on insurance. It was a gift from my beloved grandfather who has since passed on, and I can't imagine getting rid of it. Still run real well and I don't see any reason to replace it yet. You can bet it will be another Toyata when I do.

Starter car
By Jim Boy on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I'm 18 I got this car a little over a year ago its great. I have 235,000 miles on it and I take it on a 420 mile round trip (avg mpg 42) every other week. I live in the bay and force it to drive fast. It sounds a little rough when giving it gas but it has never given out and always starts. We own two of these because they are great cars. I have 3 other friends with this car and they all have over 270,000 miles. The car handles great I took a turn 20 mph turn at 55 learned all the weight is in the front.

Best mistake I ever made
By Joe on 01/14/09 14:36 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

The dealer saw me coming and I spent $1000 more than it was worth in '94. No regrets. 215000 miles and the car has started every single time I turned the key. Every time. Simply amazing. Replaced the water pump at 97000 miles but warranty covered it. Except for regular maintenance items almost everything else on the car is original and still working fine. With 4-speed stick it is faster than the 5-speed Audi I owned before. With high performance tires it will freakin' corner at 50 mph. (Yes, I did it once, but only once, you corner at 50 anything that isn't attached goes flying.) I am getting a new car now but only because I am nervous at such high mileage driving in NYC area.

220k reliable
By peggy on 12/16/08 16:09 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

220k and still going reliably and painlessly. Starts at -20 tho the shifting is very stiff until the car warms up, great gas mileage at 34 mpg. It now needs oil along with gas and leaves a blue cloud when it starts.

The Car That Gives Keeps Going
By Annette on 07/08/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1994 Toyota Tercel. I bought it brand new - 14 YEARS AGO! I'm still driving it. The paint has faded & its not so pretty anymore, but it has last me many years. For the most part, the car has given me little trouble. Usually when I had a problem it was because I needed a new battery. At about 100,000 miles I had the motor rebuilt since I had a major oil leak. That was money well spent. The car still drives smooth & almost as quiet. My family used to laugh at me for driving the old car so long, but now are wanting to buy it from me with the cost of gas now, and knowing very soon I will be replacing it with another Toyota vehicle. I just hope Toyota make their cars like they use to. :)

My 1994 Tercel
By Fusto on 04/18/08 19:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This little car is so far a great answer to rising gas prices. I bought it used in 02/2005 with some 103K miles. As expected I have to replace some parts, but still he stands tall in fuel economy, reliability, always takes me anywhere I need to go. I drive some 30 miles daily to my work. Still remember that I used to fill the tank with some $18.00 a week (yeah), true believe it or not. This year for example I had to replace the starter, yeah it had the original starter from Toyota, it lasted some 13 years.This car was built to last, it's tough. Not to mention it's durability it's old school (from 1994, comparing to today's new cars). He is still a good car.

The Little Car that Could!
By Jolly Green on 09/06/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this as my first real car 5 years ago and have since put 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't have much power (having the manual lets you strangle every ounce out of it), but it gets you there in the end. Reliability has been almost perfect, the only thing I had to change was the starter motor. It burns about 1/3 quart of oil per tank, but I can live with that. My biggest complaint against the car is that it is not good for tall drivers, I'm 6'4", and on long trips it destroys my back. It has only been recently that I have been driving a lot, I got a new job where I drive 500 miles a week, so sadly the car had to go. But if you're just looking for a basic car that doesn't break, this is it.

It's no Corolla
By gary b on 03/03/07 10:32 AM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This car was a big disappointment. After having good luck with a 91 2 door Tercel (dependable, high mileage 150k+, and awesome gas mileage), I found this car didn't live up to its older brother. I purchased the car with 60k miles. The car had a rough ride, was very cramped, and the gas mileage wasn't very impressive 26-30 mpg as opposed to the 35-40 mpg in my 91 Tercel. Wouldn't buy another one. Had a 96 corolla that got much better mileage and was a whole lot more comfortable.

Decent Car
By bwible on 10/10/06 21:47 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought car in 1996 with 43k miles on it. 4-spd manual got only decent 29 MPG. Oil light came on at 80k. I was told by the dealer that you have to change oil every 3k or the valves burn up. Replaced the ignition silenoid at 100k. Engine light came on soon after and had to replace EGR gasket. Car was overheating at 149k and needed new head gasket so I sold it. The seats tore apart after only a few years - and that was with seat covers. Paint starting coming off after about 7 years old. Overall though, it was a good, cheap car to get me through college.

OVERALL GOOD
By darth shamuu on 02/02/06 19:42 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

My dad gave me this car once he got a new one. He gave it to me with 158k miles in June of '05 and now, being January of '06 the car has 166k and I have had very few problems. Around 160k miles I had a new front axle, new brakes and new tires installed...because my dad lacked to change the oil for a bit the engine makes a bit of noise. I love the car because it is amazing on gas, I get around 37mpg!!!