1993 Toyota Tercel Consumer Review: Still going strong in its 16th

1993 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (1.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Manual)

Still going strong in its 16th year
By Terckle on

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in December '93 just as a form of cheap transportation thinking I'd get another car after five years. I keep waiting for it to give up the ghost, but this car just keeps on going. I rarely need "major" repairs. Trans about six years ago, exhaust last year, brakes two years ago? In 15 years I needed to be jumped twice, but I never had a breakdown or needed to be towed. There's rust by the rear wheels and side view mirrors, and a puff of white exhaust when I start up. It's been dependable in 100+'F weather down to -50'F weather. I get 27 mpg (city), 38 mpg (hwy), and 33 mpg mixed. Overall it's a great dependable car.

It's not a showy or sport car, but it has great gas economy, a decent size, and dependability.

Better trunk opening, exterior design that flows water away from (rather than into) the side windows, better sound insulation, cup holders (got one off of eBay).