Used 1993 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1993 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Wonderful Car.
By bridger987

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1993 Toyota Tercel in 2007, five years ago when I started college. Since then, it has never left me stranded at the side of the road (besides one blowout, which was my own fault). For a car that only produces 83 horsepower, it's incredibly fun to drive. I bought it at 22,900 miles, and it recently turned over to the 100,000 mark. In those five years, the only non-maintenance repair that I've had to make to the car is replacing the exhaust system. And that was after 19 years of the car living in the Northeastern US, where salt and harsh chemicals are sprayed on the roads in the winter. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants something akin to the Energizer Bunny.

Favorite Features

* Manual Transmission: Makes the car much quicker off the line than you'd ever expect from an economy car. While this isn't a sports car, the pickup is great. Quite zippy. * Amazing Gas Mileage: Before I put my giant CB antenna on the top of my car, I would usually average between 43-46 mpg (US gallon). Even with the drag that I have now, I still get in the high 30s. * Reliability: I bought this car when it was 14 years old. The only non-maintenance repair that I've had to make dealt with my exhaust corroding from years of abuse from harsh anti-ice chemicals. Nothing else besides oil changes, brakes, tires, and the occasional tune-up.

Suggested Improvements

* 5th Gear: My car is a four-speed, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only thing that a 5th gear might improve is (1) the fuel economy, and (2) the road noise. Mind you, the fuel economy is already more than fine. * Cupholders: As someone who commutes to and from school, not having cupholders was an annoyance. I bought some aftermarket ones. Problem solved. * Air Conditioning: While I know that using A/C wastes fuel and makes less of the car's power end up in the engine, it would still be a nice creature comfort to have. * Trip Odometer: Not really something that I have a use for, but its absence is something that stood out to me when I first bought the car.

Like the Energizer Bunny!
By Dave

1993 Toyota Tercel LE 4dr Sedan

Great on Fuel. Bought it 5 yrs ago at 225,000 km. It now has 366,000 km. No Smoke and no Oil Leaks. Still Runs Strong. Needs new rocker panels due to rust-out, and rust spots above rear wheel arches, the A-pillars and window frames. Needs another cat converter to pass emissions test (put a cheaper one in 2 years ago and it passed test very well.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy with 5-speed. Gets 40+ Imperial MPG no matter how hard we drive it!

Suggested Improvements

A/C as standard equipment would be ideal. Also manual lumbar support in driver's seat.

I would buy it again. I loved this car
By susan a

1993 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Dependable, sound and easy made the car my favorite of all autos I have owned.

Favorite Features

Dependability. I paid off my loan in three years and drove free for 11 years. It gave me few repair expenses. Last a long time.

Suggested Improvements

Body and interior design. I like manual windows because no problems to repair. When these power things go bad it is a problem. Don't change to power windows.

Should last forever
By Super Reliable

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used in 1995. I have 100K miles on it and have had no problems, mechanical or body. This car is a small tank and I expect it to last another 10 years. I paid $5000 for the car and recently was offered $3000 for it. When I sell this car, it will be for more than my original price. This car is so well built and is still very fuel efficient. It is a great car.

Favorite Features

Reliability and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is high. It would have been nice to have a 5th gear.

A Great Economical Vehicle
By cd

1993 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car with 152,000 miles on it and I love it. I am a girl; but, I love fixing this car up. It's the most dependable vehicle and this 1993 model is super fast! It out races sports cars on the freeway. Has jump, great on gas, love it!

Favorite Features

Love the stick shift; it is the most easy stick shift known to mankind 4 speeds

Suggested Improvements

None.