Used 1993 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Most Helpful|
Still going strong in its 16th year
By Terckle

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in December '93 just as a form of cheap transportation thinking I'd get another car after five years. I keep waiting for it to give up the ghost, but this car just keeps on going. I rarely need "major" repairs. Trans about six years ago, exhaust last year, brakes two years ago? In 15 years I needed to be jumped twice, but I never had a breakdown or needed to be towed. There's rust by the rear wheels and side view mirrors, and a puff of white exhaust when I start up. It's been dependable in 100+'F weather down to -50'F weather. I get 27 mpg (city), 38 mpg (hwy), and 33 mpg mixed. Overall it's a great dependable car.

Favorite Features

It's not a showy or sport car, but it has great gas economy, a decent size, and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Better trunk opening, exterior design that flows water away from (rather than into) the side windows, better sound insulation, cup holders (got one off of eBay).

reliable economy
By curtis1821

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 182k miles and a 4spd. Abused little car, I put a new engine, heater blower motor, and cv joints. Since I put the new parts in I've not had any problems. The interior is too small for me (6'1") and the road noise is almost intollerable above 60mph. But 35mpg and dependability compensate a little

Favorite Features

fuel economy and 4spd.

Suggested Improvements

more legroom/headroom in the front. Louder radio to eliminate road noise. cup holders.

Short Lived
By Ti3m

1993 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Car has 100,000 miles and smokes. 4 speed transmission was a bad idea. At 75 mph it is screaming for death. I wasn't thinking when I bought it. They should never sell a dark green car with black interior. Smokin' Hot.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on and cheap parts. Air bag.

Suggested Improvements

Add sound dampening, road noise is terrible. Car seems thin and unstable.

The best car I've ever had
By Tammy tercel

1993 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

This car is the most reliable car you will ever come across.

Favorite Features

It is a four speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

Car seats need change, and if you don't have air conditioner get one.

Like the Energizer Bunny!
By Dave

1993 Toyota Tercel LE 4dr Sedan

Great on Fuel. Bought it 5 yrs ago at 225,000 km. It now has 366,000 km. No Smoke and no Oil Leaks. Still Runs Strong. Needs new rocker panels due to rust-out, and rust spots above rear wheel arches, the A-pillars and window frames. Needs another cat converter to pass emissions test (put a cheaper one in 2 years ago and it passed test very well.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy with 5-speed. Gets 40+ Imperial MPG no matter how hard we drive it!

Suggested Improvements

A/C as standard equipment would be ideal. Also manual lumbar support in driver's seat.