Used 1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Great Car!!!
By timmy3005

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

First off i have had this Car for 2 years, and it is great! I got it for 2000$ with 92000 miles, it has 109000 now. Nothing bad that i could ever say about it. It gets 32 MPG. I would like to point out that what "histrclgenius" said in the previous review is not true, we'll about all Tercel's anyway. Mine has never burned oil. Mine gets way better MPG than my Grandmas 2001 Corolla. As far as handling, it handles like a Toyota. lol. But don't let what he said effect your decision, its great little car for getting around town, or trips if your Family is small. I went to New York in it, on about 130$ of gas overall, and that was about 1200 miles both way. So don't be afraid, its a great car!!!

Its a simple car, but very pleasing on the eyes. The A/C on mine works great, and the new Stereo i put in sounds great with factory speakers.

Better placed Cup-holders, and i wish it was a hatchback, but these are very minor things. lol.

Environmental Hazard on Wheels
By histrclgenius

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased this used with 106k miles. It was to replace my 1984 corolla. I don't see many improvements in the 8 years. In fact, the 1984 was superior with better suspension and fuel economy. That being said, it is extremely reliable and for the money, is an incredible value. The engine burns more oil than a rebel attack on a Nigerian pipeline - I add one quart every 400 miles. This issue is prevalent according to other owners I spoken with but doesn't seem to affect performance or longevity. So, if you can deal with a fog of blue smoke every morning, riding around with a 5 quart bottle of 10w-40 as your passenger and serial condescending glances, this is the car for you.

This car has no features: an engine, seat, wheels - that about covers it. Have you ever seen a frozen pizza in the store that advertises, "Now made with real cheese!"? You wonder, "What were they using before?" The answer: the Toyota Tercel; it looks like a car but you can't shake your suspicion that it might actually be made out of cardboard. Oh, there is one 'feature', I suppose. For every 100 miles I drive for work, I get $55 and spend $10 on fuel ($3.50/gallon). To date, I've made over $10,000 - that's a pretty good return on a $1,200 car.

The 4-speed transmission is a real drawback and the mileage would be substantially improved with a 5-speed. However, the lack of engine power might make it difficult to ascend steeper grades at highway speed in overdrive. One more thing - the rear seat appears to have caught fire at some point in the past. However, I don't think this was due to a design defect.

92 tercel 298,000 miles 4 on the floor!
By ripper

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is an awesome little fuel saver. it has 298,000 miles on it and runs like a little champ. it has the 4 spd. manual trans. (which I love!!) gets about 37 mpg!! and is very peppy. If there ever was a perfect car...this one is very close.

Built to last
By Toyota Tercel 2dr co

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for almost a week now and have to say that this car, (my third) was by far the best investment choice I made. With $20, I filled up the tank and I'm set for the week. The mpg is by far superb and combined with the manual transmission factor, coming up with gas money is the least of my worries. My T-cel drives surprisingly smooth for a car that has 125,000+ Mi. The interior is no frills but takes me to where I need to go efficiently and with ease. This is my first Toyota and would recommend this car to anyone.

Gas saver, MPGs

Could be a little more roomier

Can't be beat for less $
By Matt

1992 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

If you're looking for a cheap car that you never have to worry about, look no further. It has absolutely no features, but runs like a champ. In the 3 years ive had one, ive put over 30,000 miles on it. At 140,000 miles, i have put a total of onlt $60 into it for repairs. While it may not be the safest car, it is by far the most economical vehicle i have ever driven. It's my second vehicle, used mainly for backup, but its nice to know that no matter what, the tercel will always start and never give me a problem. If you aren't worried about luxury, the tercel is the perfect car. It will never let you down and you will have it as long as you want. they never die. recommended to anyone.

There really aren't any features, except the reliability and exceptional gas mileage.

NONE. it's a tercel, you don't expect anything extraordinary about it, and thats the beauty of it. for what it is, you couldn't make it any better