Used 1992 Toyota Tercel Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Environmental Hazard on Wheels
By histrclgenius

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this used with 106k miles. It was to replace my 1984 corolla. I don't see many improvements in the 8 years. In fact, the 1984 was superior with better suspension and fuel economy. That being said, it is extremely reliable and for the money, is an incredible value. The engine burns more oil than a rebel attack on a Nigerian pipeline - I add one quart every 400 miles. This issue is prevalent according to other owners I spoken with but doesn't seem to affect performance or longevity. So, if you can deal with a fog of blue smoke every morning, riding around with a 5 quart bottle of 10w-40 as your passenger and serial condescending glances, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

This car has no features: an engine, seat, wheels - that about covers it. Have you ever seen a frozen pizza in the store that advertises, "Now made with real cheese!"? You wonder, "What were they using before?" The answer: the Toyota Tercel; it looks like a car but you can't shake your suspicion that it might actually be made out of cardboard. Oh, there is one 'feature', I suppose. For every 100 miles I drive for work, I get $55 and spend $10 on fuel ($3.50/gallon). To date, I've made over $10,000 - that's a pretty good return on a $1,200 car.

Suggested Improvements

The 4-speed transmission is a real drawback and the mileage would be substantially improved with a 5-speed. However, the lack of engine power might make it difficult to ascend steeper grades at highway speed in overdrive. One more thing - the rear seat appears to have caught fire at some point in the past. However, I don't think this was due to a design defect.

92 tercel 298,000 miles 4 on the floor!
By ripper

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This is an awesome little fuel saver. it has 298,000 miles on it and runs like a little champ. it has the 4 spd. manual trans. (which I love!!) gets about 37 mpg!! and is very peppy. If there ever was a perfect car...this one is very close.

Built to last
By Toyota Tercel 2dr co

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for almost a week now and have to say that this car, (my third) was by far the best investment choice I made. With $20, I filled up the tank and I'm set for the week. The mpg is by far superb and combined with the manual transmission factor, coming up with gas money is the least of my worries. My T-cel drives surprisingly smooth for a car that has 125,000+ Mi. The interior is no frills but takes me to where I need to go efficiently and with ease. This is my first Toyota and would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Gas saver, MPGs

Suggested Improvements

Could be a little more roomier

Can't be beat for less $
By Matt

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

If you're looking for a cheap car that you never have to worry about, look no further. It has absolutely no features, but runs like a champ. In the 3 years ive had one, ive put over 30,000 miles on it. At 140,000 miles, i have put a total of onlt $60 into it for repairs. While it may not be the safest car, it is by far the most economical vehicle i have ever driven. It's my second vehicle, used mainly for backup, but its nice to know that no matter what, the tercel will always start and never give me a problem. If you aren't worried about luxury, the tercel is the perfect car. It will never let you down and you will have it as long as you want. they never die. recommended to anyone.

Favorite Features

There really aren't any features, except the reliability and exceptional gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

NONE. it's a tercel, you don't expect anything extraordinary about it, and thats the beauty of it. for what it is, you couldn't make it any better

Great little car
By Cheryl

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for 13 years and it's been an awesome vehicle. Very dependable, extremely economical to drive. If I could be guaranteed another car exactly like this one, I'd buy it in a minute. It's not luxurious but for practicality, it can't be beat. I averaged about 36 mpg and very few major repairs. It'll break my heart when it's time to get a new one. But after 137,000+, it'll be time to part company soon, I'm afraid.

Favorite Features

Few trips to the gas pumps.