Used 1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

What Happened to my Car?
By Anne

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this '91 Tercel about a year ago, it sat for a year before I owned it, so it had low mileage when I bought it. Since then, I've had to do the CV joints, front brakes and now it leaves me stranded, as the oil pump bearing is shredded, no one is sure how this happened, as it is not a usual occurrence for this car. I did think Toyotas were good cars, but now I am not really sure. I paid $1400 and it could cost me $1000 to fix, I just got the brakes fixed a couple days ago. Since this is the only car my daughter and I own, and we don't live close to my school or my work, not to mention our bus system is lacking quite a bit, it has been a difficult last few days!

Favorite Features

Not sure what I like about this car anymore. I would like a car that doesn't need so much work! Thanks to my friends for helping us get to work and to school.

Suggested Improvements

Put stronger metal bearings in places that are important, as I might need the whole oil pump and timing belt fixed, not the mention the engine could have blown, as there was no warning, other than noise when I started the car the other morning. How do I trust this car now?

Toyota Reliablity
By 91Tercel

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, I have only had small problems since I bought it for $400. The car does consume quite a bit of engine oil but thats due to faulty valve stem seals from the factory. Now the clutch is starting to slip after 290000 KMs, so this is expected. I believe its the original clutch. It is not the most powerful car nor most exciting but if you are looking for cheap transportation look no further. I would just recommend to get the models 94 and up because Toyota fixed the problem with oil consumption on those.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Add a tachometer, for 1.5L engine should be producing little more hp at least 100 hp.

Great over all car
By tmendick

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Well I just got this car not too long ago with 116,000 and had to replace a few valves but since then it has been running and running. I love this car! but I got hit by a dump truck wheel,:( so i am going to have to sell it but i will miss this car soo much.

Favorite Features

everything about it was great

Suggested Improvements

For people to be careful of the other drivers. so they can live with their great Tercels

It just keeps going @ 174,000 miles
By werner

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

What a good car. I've made countless trips all across the USA with no problems. The mechanic said he couldn't believe the car could run as well as it did (which was great) with the original plugs still in place after 100,000 miles. Runs well at 80MPH and now uses just a little oil. Mechanic who replaced head gasket at said pistons showed very little wear and car had many many miles left; internaly the engine was remarkably clean. Just a great little car that's a blast to drive and take you where you want to go economically.

Favorite Features

Reliability and durability are the hallmarks of this car. It is great to not have to worry about breaking down and whether the car will perform or not. Always consistent!

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine components easier to reach and access, especially the water pump and the timing belt.

Nice Baby
By duyu

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This little car has much more power than you thought. You can drive it at 80mph without any problem. The car looks nice and it is very reliable. The only problems it has are there's a little engine oil leak on it (one quart every 1000miles) and sometimes you need to shake the transmission before starting the car. These problems are normal for a 12 years old car.

Favorite Features

Economy and reliable

Suggested Improvements

Add Cup Holders!!!!!!!