1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
What Happened to my Car?
By Anne on 10/28/08 20:29 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this '91 Tercel about a year ago, it sat for a year before I owned it, so it had low mileage when I bought it. Since then, I've had to do the CV joints, front brakes and now it leaves me stranded, as the oil pump bearing is shredded, no one is sure how this happened, as it is not a usual occurrence for this car. I did think Toyotas were good cars, but now I am not really sure. I paid $1400 and it could cost me $1000 to fix, I just got the brakes fixed a couple days ago. Since this is the only car my daughter and I own, and we don't live close to my school or my work, not to mention our bus system is lacking quite a bit, it has been a difficult last few days!

Toyota Reliablity
By 91Tercel on 02/18/07 13:22 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, I have only had small problems since I bought it for $400. The car does consume quite a bit of engine oil but thats due to faulty valve stem seals from the factory. Now the clutch is starting to slip after 290000 KMs, so this is expected. I believe its the original clutch. It is not the most powerful car nor most exciting but if you are looking for cheap transportation look no further. I would just recommend to get the models 94 and up because Toyota fixed the problem with oil consumption on those.

Great over all car
By tmendick on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Well I just got this car not too long ago with 116,000 and had to replace a few valves but since then it has been running and running. I love this car! but I got hit by a dump truck wheel,:( so i am going to have to sell it but i will miss this car soo much.

It just keeps going @ 174,000 miles
By werner on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

What a good car. I've made countless trips all across the USA with no problems. The mechanic said he couldn't believe the car could run as well as it did (which was great) with the original plugs still in place after 100,000 miles. Runs well at 80MPH and now uses just a little oil. Mechanic who replaced head gasket at said pistons showed very little wear and car had many many miles left; internaly the engine was remarkably clean. Just a great little car that's a blast to drive and take you where you want to go economically.

Nice Baby
By duyu on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This little car has much more power than you thought. You can drive it at 80mph without any problem. The car looks nice and it is very reliable. The only problems it has are there's a little engine oil leak on it (one quart every 1000miles) and sometimes you need to shake the transmission before starting the car. These problems are normal for a 12 years old car.

one of the best
By donnyandashley on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

ok this is the first toyota CAR i have owned, and i think it will be the last car i will ever own, because it has lasted 200,000 miles on the original engine and we just rebuilt it and i know it will last another 200,000......

Fun, Reliable, etc...
By TercelBoy on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I've had no problems with it. I've had to have the front end cv joints replaced, but that's not uncommon on a front wheel drive car. i love every minute of this beast. It's helped out in so many occasions. I can't complain one bit about it. Though it's small, it's not meant to be a big family sedan. A great car to learn on and know that you'll have great reliability and won't put much money into it other than regular work. A+

Awesome
By Brent Bennette on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have had my '91 Tercel for 5 years now and I haven't had a problem with it besides the AC and a minor oil leak. It's a great car, expecially for a first time driver... mine has 104K miles on it and is still running great.

love the car
By jorge pagan on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

this is the best tercel ever made