Used 1991 Toyota Tercel DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

What Happened to my Car?
By Anne

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this '91 Tercel about a year ago, it sat for a year before I owned it, so it had low mileage when I bought it. Since then, I've had to do the CV joints, front brakes and now it leaves me stranded, as the oil pump bearing is shredded, no one is sure how this happened, as it is not a usual occurrence for this car. I did think Toyotas were good cars, but now I am not really sure. I paid $1400 and it could cost me $1000 to fix, I just got the brakes fixed a couple days ago. Since this is the only car my daughter and I own, and we don't live close to my school or my work, not to mention our bus system is lacking quite a bit, it has been a difficult last few days!

Not sure what I like about this car anymore. I would like a car that doesn't need so much work! Thanks to my friends for helping us get to work and to school.

Put stronger metal bearings in places that are important, as I might need the whole oil pump and timing belt fixed, not the mention the engine could have blown, as there was no warning, other than noise when I started the car the other morning. How do I trust this car now?

Toyota Reliablity
By 91Tercel

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, I have only had small problems since I bought it for $400. The car does consume quite a bit of engine oil but thats due to faulty valve stem seals from the factory. Now the clutch is starting to slip after 290000 KMs, so this is expected. I believe its the original clutch. It is not the most powerful car nor most exciting but if you are looking for cheap transportation look no further. I would just recommend to get the models 94 and up because Toyota fixed the problem with oil consumption on those.

Reliability.

Add a tachometer, for 1.5L engine should be producing little more hp at least 100 hp.

Nice Baby
By duyu

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This little car has much more power than you thought. You can drive it at 80mph without any problem. The car looks nice and it is very reliable. The only problems it has are there's a little engine oil leak on it (one quart every 1000miles) and sometimes you need to shake the transmission before starting the car. These problems are normal for a 12 years old car.

Economy and reliable

Add Cup Holders!!!!!!!

one of the best
By donnyandashley

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

ok this is the first toyota CAR i have owned, and i think it will be the last car i will ever own, because it has lasted 200,000 miles on the original engine and we just rebuilt it and i know it will last another 200,000......

gas miliage

none

Fun, Reliable, etc...
By TercelBoy

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I've had no problems with it. I've had to have the front end cv joints replaced, but that's not uncommon on a front wheel drive car. i love every minute of this beast. It's helped out in so many occasions. I can't complain one bit about it. Though it's small, it's not meant to be a big family sedan. A great car to learn on and know that you'll have great reliability and won't put much money into it other than regular work. A+

Peppyness, control, convience, size, and audio system. for a person who doesn't need a big system or speakers, they work great for being stock.

none, they dont' make them anymore:)