1991 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
My 1st Car
By brianab on 08/03/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car of last year so I can go back and fourth to school. I love this car. It was great on gas, and fun to drive. When I bought it, the previous owner had already painted it red and silver (red, the original color, on top, and silver on the bottom). It was an automatic.

Wow, Tercel was the best in 1991
By Leroy on 01/02/10 07:31 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I had a great experience owning a slightly used 1991 toyota tercel. Never a problem with it it just keep on rolling down the freeway. at 143,000 miles I became skittish and traded in for an American model boy was that a mistake. I wish I still owned it it was a great commuter with 32 mpg for 5 years.

What Happened to my Car?
By Anne on 10/28/08 20:29 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this '91 Tercel about a year ago, it sat for a year before I owned it, so it had low mileage when I bought it. Since then, I've had to do the CV joints, front brakes and now it leaves me stranded, as the oil pump bearing is shredded, no one is sure how this happened, as it is not a usual occurrence for this car. I did think Toyotas were good cars, but now I am not really sure. I paid $1400 and it could cost me $1000 to fix, I just got the brakes fixed a couple days ago. Since this is the only car my daughter and I own, and we don't live close to my school or my work, not to mention our bus system is lacking quite a bit, it has been a difficult last few days!

I love my tercel
By kat on 06/13/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new and now it has 128,000 miles. It starts everyday, except when I leave the lights on. The only mechanical issue now is that my A/C is 99% gone and I don't know how much it will cost. This car has been superb for 17 years-I got my moneys worth a long time ago. My next car will be a Toyota

Toyota Reliablity
By 91Tercel on 02/18/07 13:22 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, I have only had small problems since I bought it for $400. The car does consume quite a bit of engine oil but thats due to faulty valve stem seals from the factory. Now the clutch is starting to slip after 290000 KMs, so this is expected. I believe its the original clutch. It is not the most powerful car nor most exciting but if you are looking for cheap transportation look no further. I would just recommend to get the models 94 and up because Toyota fixed the problem with oil consumption on those.

I love this Toyota
By E Ulery on 06/29/05 17:09 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I have driven this car for 14 years. It runs today just like it did when I purchased it. I think the up keep has been average for any car I have no complaints. My next car will definitely be a Toyota.

By 91 Tercel coupe on 05/11/05 15:39 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I have owned many vehicles in my 31 years. Vans, trucks, Suv's and even Motorcycles. This 2 door gas annihilator has been the best, most reliable car I have ever had the pleasure to own. With ridiculous gas prices, my wife drives 45 miles round trip daily on just over 1 gallon of fuel. The best fuel economy we have tracked was 42 miles to the highway gallon. This is the 2 door automatic with air. We were able to achieve this unheard of mileage in the spring time when A/C is not neccesary. Time to sell our plymouth Neon and get another one of these awesome Toyota's. BOTTOM LINE I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS VEHICLE. We're over 200,000 and climbing, with NO problems at all. Change your tming belts!!

Doesn't Get Any Better
By oggie3 on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I'm an owner of a Cadillac Escalade. The reason I purchased the Tercel was to reduce the mileage on my Cadillac. This vehicle is extremely reliable. It is fun to drive and with over 123K miles I still get over 31mpg. It doesn't get any better than this. This car was built to run and boy does it run. Great second, third or any number you choose as an additional car. If you can get one, buy one.

Excellant running-rebuild engine-14000 m
By mijares on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

rebuilt engine with 14000 miles white in color no dents new tires automatic tranmission excellent enterior air condition

Great over all car
By tmendick on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Tercel LE 4dr Sedan

Well I just got this car not too long ago with 116,000 and had to replace a few valves but since then it has been running and running. I love this car! but I got hit by a dump truck wheel,:( so i am going to have to sell it but i will miss this car soo much.