Used 1991 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

My 1st Car
By brianab

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car of last year so I can go back and fourth to school. I love this car. It was great on gas, and fun to drive. When I bought it, the previous owner had already painted it red and silver (red, the original color, on top, and silver on the bottom). It was an automatic.

Don't really have a favorite feature, just was a great car.

None at all. Car went out on me this year. It had about 200, 000 miles already on it when I bought it.

Wow, Tercel was the best in 1991
By Leroy

1991 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I had a great experience owning a slightly used 1991 toyota tercel. Never a problem with it it just keep on rolling down the freeway. at 143,000 miles I became skittish and traded in for an American model boy was that a mistake. I wish I still owned it it was a great commuter with 32 mpg for 5 years.

engine reliability on base model. $ spped manual

Five speed manual on DX. AC should on base models. better paint seems toyotas paint didn't hold up well in the Midwest winter.

What Happened to my Car?
By Anne

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this '91 Tercel about a year ago, it sat for a year before I owned it, so it had low mileage when I bought it. Since then, I've had to do the CV joints, front brakes and now it leaves me stranded, as the oil pump bearing is shredded, no one is sure how this happened, as it is not a usual occurrence for this car. I did think Toyotas were good cars, but now I am not really sure. I paid $1400 and it could cost me $1000 to fix, I just got the brakes fixed a couple days ago. Since this is the only car my daughter and I own, and we don't live close to my school or my work, not to mention our bus system is lacking quite a bit, it has been a difficult last few days!

Not sure what I like about this car anymore. I would like a car that doesn't need so much work! Thanks to my friends for helping us get to work and to school.

Put stronger metal bearings in places that are important, as I might need the whole oil pump and timing belt fixed, not the mention the engine could have blown, as there was no warning, other than noise when I started the car the other morning. How do I trust this car now?

I love my tercel
By kat

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new and now it has 128,000 miles. It starts everyday, except when I leave the lights on. The only mechanical issue now is that my A/C is 99% gone and I don't know how much it will cost. This car has been superb for 17 years-I got my moneys worth a long time ago. My next car will be a Toyota

Size, gas mileage, bucket seats

Wish list: drink cup holder and power windows.

Toyota Reliablity
By 91Tercel

1991 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, I have only had small problems since I bought it for $400. The car does consume quite a bit of engine oil but thats due to faulty valve stem seals from the factory. Now the clutch is starting to slip after 290000 KMs, so this is expected. I believe its the original clutch. It is not the most powerful car nor most exciting but if you are looking for cheap transportation look no further. I would just recommend to get the models 94 and up because Toyota fixed the problem with oil consumption on those.

Reliability.

Add a tachometer, for 1.5L engine should be producing little more hp at least 100 hp.