Super-Car
By Mihai on
1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback
This car is the best I've ever had. I abused it in every possible way. Almost never breaks and when it does it's dirt cheap to fix. Tires are $15 new or $6 used. Changed the brakes for $40 at a mechanic. Can't ask for more. You can take it anywhere - even off road. We took it to Oregon and drove 200 miles on unpaved roads and then back to California. Lookwise it's not the best, but I took it to over 50 dates and I've been far more succesfull [weeding out the bad girls] then when I was driving a gas-guzzler money-eater Pontiac. Toyota costs 9.5 cents/mile for gas, insurance, repairs and loss in car value (including one accident) during my ownership. Pontiac was 37 cents/mile, no accident.
Favorite Features
Freedom. The freedom to leave the key in the door, have a great date and find the key where you left it. Freedom to go off-road, have rocks and sagebrush hit everything they can hit and then drive 100 miles home. Freedom to have an accident and smile. No matter what you do, it won't cost you.
Suggested Improvements
They should make such simple cars again. Take all the fancy gizmos off a Toyota Yarris, leave just the engine and a lot of room to fix it when you need to. Give it plastic seats. Price it at $5000 and have it go 300 000 at 45 mpg. Add internet and repair manual. Wouldn't that be great for the world?