Used 1990 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Never Quits
By rtreviewing

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car when it was already 11 years old and with about 70K miles on it. I kept it for 6 years and put another 30K miles on it. When I parted with it, it was still going very strong. The car had zero problems. Besides routine maintenance, once in a while I did have to replace a part. But that's once in a long while. In the six years I owned it, I might have put in $500 to $600 in maintenance and repairs, and I don't even do the oil changes myself.

Indestructibility. This car will die from salt rust before anything else.

Add a right hand side mirror. I know the EZ Hatchback is the econ model, but it's a pain (and potential safety issue) to check the right blind spot twice just to make a lane change to the right. Exterior styling is non- existent.

Super-Car
By Mihai

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback

This car is the best I've ever had. I abused it in every possible way. Almost never breaks and when it does it's dirt cheap to fix. Tires are $15 new or $6 used. Changed the brakes for $40 at a mechanic. Can't ask for more. You can take it anywhere - even off road. We took it to Oregon and drove 200 miles on unpaved roads and then back to California. Lookwise it's not the best, but I took it to over 50 dates and I've been far more succesfull [weeding out the bad girls] then when I was driving a gas-guzzler money-eater Pontiac. Toyota costs 9.5 cents/mile for gas, insurance, repairs and loss in car value (including one accident) during my ownership. Pontiac was 37 cents/mile, no accident.

Freedom. The freedom to leave the key in the door, have a great date and find the key where you left it. Freedom to go off-road, have rocks and sagebrush hit everything they can hit and then drive 100 miles home. Freedom to have an accident and smile. No matter what you do, it won't cost you.

They should make such simple cars again. Take all the fancy gizmos off a Toyota Yarris, leave just the engine and a lot of room to fix it when you need to. Give it plastic seats. Price it at $5000 and have it go 300 000 at 45 mpg. Add internet and repair manual. Wouldn't that be great for the world?

The car that would not die
By Tom-AZ

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback

We had this car for 10 years, we rarely changed the oil, yet nothign ever went wrong over 10 years. That is simply amazing. Besides wear of tires, brakes, and the seats, this car is indestructible.

Pretty good gas mileage and extremely tough

This car needed a stronger engine

1990 tercel coupe goes forever
By G. Fader

1990 Toyota Tercel Deluxe 2dr Coupe

These cars are very reliable, good mileage. Watch the brakes for frequent repairs and rust on the back wheel fenders. A little undercoating and they go forever. Great engineering. Too bad they don't put the same quality into them today!

ease of maneuver

rust proof, thicker metal, better brakes

Great Car
By goombah

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

This car is indestructible...I highly recommend it as your beater second car. Just be sure the boddy is solid.

4 cyl. carb engine

stronger frame and/or lower body panels

• SUV