Used 1990 Toyota Tercel EZ Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Automotive Purgatory
By 5.0Mustang

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

I drove one of these between 1995 and 2001 as a recent grad while suffering through student debt and an entry level salary. Not bad as basic transportation. Good visibility. Cavernous hatch. Easy to drive, and good traction in the snow. But...for all the hoo-hah about Toyota reliability this car did not deliver. It made my cantankerous old Triumph TR6 look reliable. Many faults manifested themselves over the years, but one thing that really stood out was the crappy "variable venturi" carb. Its designers should be made to walk the plank. And the acceleration was abysmal. In 2001 the starter started going bad for the second time, so I bought the first of two Mustang GTs and never looked back.

Zippy and Fun
By Sue

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

My aunt gave me this car 3 years ago. this car is a great commuter car : I drive 140 highway miles round trip, it gets great gas mileage and I regularly go 70mph. Its a fun zippy little thing and its very responsive. No rust, no maintenance issues. It won't win any beauty contests, but it is so reliable and fun to drive.

Never Quits
By rtreviewing

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car when it was already 11 years old and with about 70K miles on it. I kept it for 6 years and put another 30K miles on it. When I parted with it, it was still going very strong. The car had zero problems. Besides routine maintenance, once in a while I did have to replace a part. But that's once in a long while. In the six years I owned it, I might have put in $500 to $600 in maintenance and repairs, and I don't even do the oil changes myself.

Indestructibility. This car will die from salt rust before anything else.

Add a right hand side mirror. I know the EZ Hatchback is the econ model, but it's a pain (and potential safety issue) to check the right blind spot twice just to make a lane change to the right. Exterior styling is non- existent.

Great Car
By goombah

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

This car is indestructible...I highly
recommend it as your beater second
car. Just be sure the boddy is solid.

4 cyl. carb engine

stronger frame and/or lower body panels

elvis tarcel
By elvis

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

good vehicle. never stopped me

good for 2 people