1990 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Why Toyota won customer loyalty
By Doug on 08/28/10 13:59 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Found this one-owner gem on the internet with 29k miles. My 12th Toyota, 3rd Tercel. Toyota's place in America was won with a simple strategy: make their entry-level cars cheap to buy and keep, and buyers will keep coming back for upscale models. The Tercel exemplified that strategy. Comfortable seats; simple, serviceable drivetrain; straightforward interior (you never need an owner's manual to figure out how everything works). Smooth runner (tho noise levels high when compared with 20 today's cars)-- and with 76 bhp, you won't be winning any races. 3-spd auto revs high and hurts mileage (28-30 avg), but does the job; it gets you there cheaply, and with just a little bit of fun thrown in too!

Zippy and Fun
By Sue on 02/07/10 15:28 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

My aunt gave me this car 3 years ago. this car is a great commuter car : I drive 140 highway miles round trip, it gets great gas mileage and I regularly go 70mph. Its a fun zippy little thing and its very responsive. No rust, no maintenance issues. It won't win any beauty contests, but it is so reliable and fun to drive.

Free Transportation
By mtcan on 05/27/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car seriously neglected for $1K & 50K miles. I doubt they changed the oil ever as it was owned and operated by an elderly woman who actually died and the nephew sold it to me. That's not a good combination for a reliable vehicle, but after investing another $700 in overdue maintenance, it has given me nearly flawless reliability for two years and 15K miles/yr. The car has had an issue with its thermostat, and it can overheat without you knowing it, so be aware that near-red is actually RED. Also, there is a carburetor adjustment screw that we had to dig-into the carb metal to get to at the back (near firewall), but after that, it runs fantastic for simple transportation.

Good car
By Italianprincess on 10/12/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1988 Toyota Tercel with 80,000 miles. Thing runs beautiful. Little bit of an oil leak but what do you expect for a 20 yr old car. Just had a tune up but no major problems.

Never Quits
By rtreviewing on 09/06/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car when it was already 11 years old and with about 70K miles on it. I kept it for 6 years and put another 30K miles on it. When I parted with it, it was still going very strong. The car had zero problems. Besides routine maintenance, once in a while I did have to replace a part. But that's once in a long while. In the six years I owned it, I might have put in $500 to $600 in maintenance and repairs, and I don't even do the oil changes myself.

Super-Car
By Mihai on 09/15/06 12:32 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback

This car is the best I've ever had. I abused it in every possible way. Almost never breaks and when it does it's dirt cheap to fix. Tires are $15 new or $6 used. Changed the brakes for $40 at a mechanic. Can't ask for more. You can take it anywhere - even off road. We took it to Oregon and drove 200 miles on unpaved roads and then back to California. Lookwise it's not the best, but I took it to over 50 dates and I've been far more succesfull [weeding out the bad girls] then when I was driving a gas-guzzler money-eater Pontiac. Toyota costs 9.5 cents/mile for gas, insurance, repairs and loss in car value (including one accident) during my ownership. Pontiac was 37 cents/mile, no accident.

The car that would not die
By Tom-AZ on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Hatchback

We had this car for 10 years, we rarely changed the oil, yet nothign ever went wrong over 10 years. That is simply amazing. Besides wear of tires, brakes, and the seats, this car is indestructible.

1990 tercel coupe goes forever
By G. Fader on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel Deluxe 2dr Coupe

These cars are very reliable, good mileage. Watch the brakes for frequent repairs and rust on the back wheel fenders. A little undercoating and they go forever. Great engineering. Too bad they don't put the same quality into them today!

Great Car
By goombah on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel EZ 2dr Hatchback

This car is indestructible...I highly recommend it as your beater second car. Just be sure the boddy is solid.

You can't kill this car!
By NJmark on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

It a little tank...made of thin metal. You can kill this thing. Great car for student or when the road are bad and you just got to get there. Park it in the Mall with confidence, who cares about door dings, no one will steal it. Ours get 36-38 MPG...can't beat it.