2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

HORRIBLE DRIVETRAIN
By Don Cain

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2016 Tacoma with the v6 is horrible when using cruise control. When traveling 75mph or higher with cruise control on transmission does not want to shift out of 4th gear most of the time which results in poor fuel economy. It will shift into 5th sometimes but usually stays in 4th gear. I drove from Omaha, ne. to Denver Co. mostly in 4th gear because it would not shift into a higher gear, I got a whopping 14.6 miles to the gallon. I can't believe I traded my 2015 Tacoma for a 2016 Tacoma. I was told by a Toyota Service Mgr. that this truck needs a turbo charger because it lacks so much power. I have called Toyota Corp. I have had the truck in twice once in Denver and once in Omaha and was told this is how the truck is suppose to run. I called Toyota Corp. They were no help what so ever. Toyota knows this drivetrain is terrible but will not do anything about it.

More than I expected
By Stephen

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The ride is amazing.. it's a rugged, classy, and great looking. I don't feel comfortable driving over 80 but I can use my BMW for that. Great around town and it laughs at pot holes so common in the NYC tri-state area..

too little too late
By keith crawley

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did not buy the vehicle in the end. I still think the TACOMA was/is the right vehicle for me, but maybe not just now. I was offered too little ( in my opinion) too late as a trade for my spotless low mileage 2013 Honda CRV otherwise the deal would have happened. I had fancied a truck for some time as it would be better suited to my lifestyle, but was not REALLY sure I was doing the right thing getting rid of my Honda ( condition,mileage, fuel consumption - and, what you know ie no problems) to buy a new vehicle - truck or not. Due to the offered trade being quite a bit under what I felt it was worth I walked away. Phone calls and discussions later increasing the trade offer was still a little below what I was prepared to take, and I had enough time to think clearly on what my Honda was really worth to me - and that was way more than offered and more even than I had initially been prepared to take. thus I say "too little too late". had a better trade been offered on the day, I probably would have taken it. having said this however, when I am again ready to buy I would go back to the same dealer as my treatment there was good and my experience overall was positive - I just hope they offer me what my trade is really worth from the start and not push for the lowest price they can for it and cause me to "walk away " again. I NEVER buy a vehicle without doing my homework and NEVER when "desperate" to do so I am always able to "walk away" and in todays tough times many are like me.

Tacoma engine/tranny combo a joke
By Unhappy Tacoma owner

My 2016 shifts up and down whenever it feels like it. Sometimes 2 gears at a time on a flat road with the cruise on and no wind. The 6 cylinder engine is a piece of crap teamed with a 6 speed tranny which the 5th and 6th gears not being used at speeds over 75. Had mine back to the shop 4 times and they said this is how they run. Well after owning 9 previous Tacoma's that isn't how the older ones run. I hooked it up to my boat and it couldn't get out of 3rd gear with my boat behind it. I had to turn and unhook the boat and I drove right to my dealer and demanded my 2014 Tacoma back. The 2014 pulls the same small boat perfectly. I'm 5' 11" and my head hits the sunroof constantly and I would be worried if I hit a big bump while driving the 2016. Beware and give it a nice long test drive if your interested in buying a new Tacoma, they have a ton of engine/tranny problems. Just google 2016 Tacoma shifting problems and you can read 1000's of post about unhappy owners like myself. Oh yeah, mileage on 8 fill ups was 12.5 to 13.4, no kidding. I probably had a big lemon, but Toyota Corp. told me this is how they run so I'll leave it up to you to decide. I've read enough posts to know there's MANY others just like me out there.

cracked windshield
By SB

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our 2016 Toyota Tacoma for 2 months today, I parked truck in parking lot at work come out 3 hours later to go to lunch and my window was cracked shape of L, there was no sign of anything hitting it called the dealership Thomasville Toyota and they told me nothing they can do, to call our insurance company. Now I see I am not the first with this issue they need to recall and replace all windshields.