Former Ford Guy, Turned to Tacoma
By trophyf1 on
2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)
I have only owned Rangers and F150s my whole life. Its 2012 and Ford no longer makes the Ranger nor did they ever offer a 4 cyl double cab. I turned to Toyota due to claims of reliability and the size of the Tacoma. Its the perfect size. Bought the Double cab prerunner with the 4 cyl motor and LOVE it. Plenty of power to get around. MPG is right on EPA estimates which I cant say about my F150. So far have averaged 21.4MPG with heavy city driving. The build quality is great as are numerous features of the truck. It looks tough and sits high which I like for visibility.
Favorite Features
Back up camera is AWESOME. Love that I can get a 4 cyl 2.7 motor in a double cab prerunner... thats what sold me on the truck. I dont need to tow, but I need a bed for my active lifestyle. I dont want to spend every dime I make on fuel either so a 4 cyl is perfect. Folding rear headrests are AWESOME. The sterio system is amazing compared to my Fords. The bluetooth conectivity works great and is very convenient. I love the MPG's at 21.4 average with heavy city usage.... sure beats 13.5MPG with my 2012 F150. Steering wheel is comfortable. Interior is stylish and functional. Center console is great. Auto LSD is sweet. Ground clearance is fun for light trail usage.
Suggested Improvements
A manual trans would be fun as the Double cab 4 cyl prerunner is only available with the auto trans. I would like an option for factory fog lights. A electric locking rear differential would be great too for that added wow factor. 265/70r16's should be standard for a better look over the 245's too.... but thats just being picky. This is a great truck and I am siked to own and drive my first Toyota... a Tacoma!
By teamtoyotaeh
on 04/04/13 18:52 PM (PDT)

I bought new Tacoma dbl cab TRD 4X4 two days after my birthday! I am a huge fan of Toyota because my Corolla has 265 000 kms on it and had so very few problems that I knew next vehicle would be another Toyota! I have long given up on FORD..they build crap...know this from my 97 Taurus and my 1988 Sierra pick up was probably just as bad as FORD so American automakers can sell to those who think they can fool! I am very satisfied with the truck and the dealer in Brantford ON is awesome....they go the extra kilometre for sure! I have just a few gripes about the truck...fuel economy is claimed to be 29 mpg hiway and I get 21 or so but truck only has 1700 kms so I hope it gets better! I am disappointed that power door lock/power window switches are NOT lit in the dark...hard to see at nite and when you shift from park....doors DO NOT lock themselves automatically! I wish all vehicles had a switch where you could decide if doors lock or if you the driver wish to have control of this situation! The Tacoma has excellent fit and finish...the interior materials are top notch quality and the truck has no squeaks and rattles! I am hedging my bet that this truck will be just like the Corolla I own....dead reliable!