Used 2013 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Solid Truck
By bukstr

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a TRD Off-Road version and have already put 25K miles on it. The truck is very comfortable to drive, relatively quiet inside, and it is just the right size for my needs. The JBL sound system is comparable to the upgraded sound systems on most luxury cars. The V6 provides more than adequate power, but I'd love to see the Tundras 4.6 V8 as an option. The BFG tires that come with the off-road strike a great balance between on road and off road driving. Also despite the Edmunds review the brakes are not at all spongy, if anything they are grabby.

Favorite Features

TRD Off-Road suspension, ground clearnace, size of the vehicle, JBL sound system, brakes, ergonomics, and folding back seats.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle should have heated mirrors and a light for the bed. Other than that it would be nice to have the heated seats ans SofTex as an option for the TRD models and not just the Limited.

Underpowered but great truck
By yodusty

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my truck and wouldn't trade my truck for anything, but I have been spending lots of money for a little more horsepower and gas mileage. I am leaning more towards a turbo which are hard to come by because its too new. I'm not sure other Toyota models have more horsepower than the Tacoma. Other models include the Camry, 4-Runner, and FJ Cruiser.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera, 4 full doors, blootooth for phone calls, and excellent braking.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior bed light, heated mirrors, louder stereo, more power, and rear defrost.

Should Be Better
By likenicethings

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

There are only a couple of choices for a mid-size pickup. The Tacoma is an average vehicle that could easily be much better. All Tacoma's speedometers are off by 3 mph and all 4-cyl engines tick like toy engines. The 4-cyl engines are less than adequate for a useful pickup truck. The transmission has to downshift twice going up marginal grades at 65 mph. I want more mpg than the standard 1/2 Ton PU, but need enough power for adequate highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

The simple improvements are needed to make this a much better truck. Fix the speedometers please! Make the engine more quite and sound like a real truck. Give the 4-cyl engines more power.

Good Truck
By oldguy42

2013 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I had been driving a 1994 Toyota pickup for 17 years and decided to trade for a new one. I was sure it would be another Toyota, and spent quite a bit of time deciding which model to get. I'm hopeful that my research might help others in deciding what to buy. I mostly drive the truck back and forth to work, so it was important to get a comfortable vehicle that is fun to drive. The SR5 package has more comfortable seats in my opinion and a nicer interior, so I got the SR5 package. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power for me. The truck is quiet and comfortable and I enjoy driving it.

Favorite Features

I use the truck quite a bit for hauling yard waste and brush. I do some volunteer work hauling for older people in the community hauling their yard waste. I occasionally haul some lumber and plywood for home projects, and occasionally my wife calls me to get a piece of furniture. For my needs, a shorter truck is better than a tall truck. The 1994 truck was easier to load and unload that the new truck because it was lower to the ground. The full sized trucks I looked at would have been very difficult to load and unload. I can load this truck from the sides and back, but it is a stretch for my wife to load from the sides.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think this truck has enough power to pull a trailer. It's great for hauling, but if I had a boat I think I would get a full sized truck to pull it. I've pulled trailers at work, and it seems to me a bigger truck is better. Overall I'm happy with the truck. It's a pleasure to drive and meets my hauling needs. I recommend it for people with needs similar to me.

Awesome
By cisrab

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned jeeps, wranglers and cherokees. This Tacoma with the TRD off road package, supercharger, and Baja suspension is a much better vehicle then the jeeps. Much more reliable and excellent off road. Will it mach a Rubicon no, but it will hang with it. The truck is much more reliable and comfortable on the road then a rubicon. Toyota's dependability is unmatched.

Favorite Features

Locker, Toyota's A-Trac, versatility, TRD performance parts.