2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Too many quirks
By markymarc on 04/04/14 20:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I find it hard to believe how many people have blind loyalty to these trucks. There are countless issues with them if you just look them up on forums and blogs. I have most of the problems people complain about: Drive line vibrations, brake shutter, wheel shutter, loud dashboard creaks and rattles. The whole truck shakes like crazy when I try to accelerate hard from a dead stop. The engine is chirping like there's a belt problem. The valves clatter when the water temp is cold. I practically have to wait for the water temp to get to normal running level before it stops. I love the truck and I want to keep it forever, but I get the feeling it either won't hold up or I'll grow to resent it.

Solid Truck
By bukstr on 12/16/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a TRD Off-Road version and have already put 25K miles on it. The truck is very comfortable to drive, relatively quiet inside, and it is just the right size for my needs. The JBL sound system is comparable to the upgraded sound systems on most luxury cars. The V6 provides more than adequate power, but I'd love to see the Tundras 4.6 V8 as an option. The BFG tires that come with the off-road strike a great balance between on road and off road driving. Also despite the Edmunds review the brakes are not at all spongy, if anything they are grabby.

Underpowered but great truck
By yodusty on 12/08/13 19:38 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my truck and wouldn't trade my truck for anything, but I have been spending lots of money for a little more horsepower and gas mileage. I am leaning more towards a turbo which are hard to come by because its too new. I'm not sure other Toyota models have more horsepower than the Tacoma. Other models include the Camry, 4-Runner, and FJ Cruiser.

Awesome
By cisrab on 07/13/13 21:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned jeeps, wranglers and cherokees. This Tacoma with the TRD off road package, supercharger, and Baja suspension is a much better vehicle then the jeeps. Much more reliable and excellent off road. Will it mach a Rubicon no, but it will hang with it. The truck is much more reliable and comfortable on the road then a rubicon. Toyota's dependability is unmatched.

Solid medium size truck
By zx10rrider on 04/08/13 13:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No Tacoma "Fan Boy" here. This is my first Toyota vehicle and there have been no surprises so far. The 2013 Tacoma has been what a truck this size should be. Powerful, quite, smooth at highway speeds. It does have a firm ride thanks to the TRD off road pkg. I am 6'1" and the cab had plenty of room in the front and rear seats. Parking this truck is no major chore with the short bed. I paid $500 below invoice or $30180 before TTL fees. Overall I am very happy with this truck.

Perfect dad truck!
By rayrn87 on 03/19/13 21:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck!! Legendary reliability and resale value is ridiculously high! I have a v6 tx edition pre runner double cab so it has a tough rugged look. Cant even count how many compliments Ive gotten on how badass the truck looks, I had a crewmax tundra and the taco is much easier to maneuver and more comfortable to drive daily, although the interior is smaller, my 2 kids and the wife fit comfortably. My only regret is not getting the 4x4 but I'm not much of an offroader. I mainly use the vehicle to drive to work , plenty of stop n go lights but gas mileage is decent and you don't notice the meter move unlike full size trucks.

4x2 Double Cab PreRunner V6 (5 Speed Automatic)
By ginflorida on 02/06/13 00:51 AM (PST)

I've been driving BMWs for quite a awhile but my wife and I entered the home renovation phase that required multiple trips to Lowes/HomeDepot and similar stores. The day I had to pay a guy with a truck $20 to assist me with delivering some drywall was the day I knew we needed a truck in our household. Not a BMW but for a mid-size truck, comfortable and agile enough to move around town without mowing everyone down. I purchased a special 'demo' version that contains almost every accessory available and it's a sharp looking vehicle. My wife, kids and even the dogs seem to enjoy it. I feel good that I don't have to worry tearing up $60K plus vehicles while renovating our home.

40,317 of 40,402 people found this review helpful
OVERATED!
By soreknees on 12/10/12 18:39 PM (PST)

most uncomfortable truck i've ever owned. The driver's seat is so poorly designed I can hardly walk when I leave the truck after 30 minutes of driving. Miss my chevy silverado crew cab. The dealership was terrible, didn't even offer to demonstrate the vehicle after the purchase. Just handed me the keys and walked away. (Smithtown Toyota, NY). I had to go find the truck myself. The truck is overpriced to begin with which explains the higher resale price. After driving full sized silverados with every option available for almost the same price, I was amazed that so few comfort and convenience options are available for these trucks i.e. power leather heated seats, climate control.

Former Ford Guy, Turned to Tacoma
By trophyf1 on 11/15/12 16:04 PM (PST)

I have only owned Rangers and F150s my whole life. Its 2012 and Ford no longer makes the Ranger nor did they ever offer a 4 cyl double cab. I turned to Toyota due to claims of reliability and the size of the Tacoma. Its the perfect size. Bought the Double cab prerunner with the 4 cyl motor and LOVE it. Plenty of power to get around. MPG is right on EPA estimates which I cant say about my F150. So far have averaged 21.4MPG with heavy city driving. The build quality is great as are numerous features of the truck. It looks tough and sits high which I like for visibility.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double-cab in VA is:

$133 per month*