Used 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Expected More of Toyota
By brw115

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

After owning a troubled GM truck for a decade, I had high hopes for this truck. Unfortunately it seems that Toyota has dropped the ball. Though a smaller engine than the 6 cylinder S-10 I owned, this 4 cylinder gets worse gas mileage. The ride is very choppy and the Dunlop installed tires seem very cheap. Why not Michelin Toyota? The exterior of the truck is stylish and the seats on the prerunner are very comfortable, but what is the deal with that cheap Entunes crap stereo? The sound is awful and the so called voice activation rarely works. I do like the space in the access cab and the warranty offered was excellent, but Toyota could do better.

Comfortable Seats Stylish Exterior/Body Design Lots of internal cup holders and pockets

Better factory tires Improve the gas mileage in 4 cylinders Remove Entunes and install quality stereo system

Should Be Better
By likenicethings

There are only a couple of choices for a mid-size pickup. The Tacoma is an average vehicle that could easily be much better. All Tacoma's speedometers are off by 3 mph and all 4-cyl engines tick like toy engines. The 4-cyl engines are less than adequate for a useful pickup truck. The transmission has to downshift twice going up marginal grades at 65 mph. I want more mpg than the standard 1/2 Ton PU, but need enough power for adequate highway driving.

The simple improvements are needed to make this a much better truck. Fix the speedometers please! Make the engine more quite and sound like a real truck. Give the 4-cyl engines more power.

Good Truck
By oldguy42

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I had been driving a 1994 Toyota pickup for 17 years and decided to trade for a new one. I was sure it would be another Toyota, and spent quite a bit of time deciding which model to get. I'm hopeful that my research might help others in deciding what to buy. I mostly drive the truck back and forth to work, so it was important to get a comfortable vehicle that is fun to drive. The SR5 package has more comfortable seats in my opinion and a nicer interior, so I got the SR5 package. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power for me. The truck is quiet and comfortable and I enjoy driving it.

I use the truck quite a bit for hauling yard waste and brush. I do some volunteer work hauling for older people in the community hauling their yard waste. I occasionally haul some lumber and plywood for home projects, and occasionally my wife calls me to get a piece of furniture. For my needs, a shorter truck is better than a tall truck. The 1994 truck was easier to load and unload that the new truck because it was lower to the ground. The full sized trucks I looked at would have been very difficult to load and unload. I can load this truck from the sides and back, but it is a stretch for my wife to load from the sides.

I don't think this truck has enough power to pull a trailer. It's great for hauling, but if I had a boat I think I would get a full sized truck to pull it. I've pulled trailers at work, and it seems to me a bigger truck is better. Overall I'm happy with the truck. It's a pleasure to drive and meets my hauling needs. I recommend it for people with needs similar to me.

Retired Tacoma Owner
By fairmont79

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I recently replaced my 1997 T100 SR5 with the access cab Tacoma. I had well over 200,000 on the T100. I figured the Tacoma would serve me well also. I ordered the 4cyl Base Access Cab with the SR5 Package. The milage for the first month has been 24.6 - 25 MPG. The fit and finish is excellent, Millage is where it is advertised, and performance with the 4 cyl. has exceeded my expectations. I like the rear view camera, makes hooking up my small trailer a snap! I have a single axle trailer that I use to pull my Arctic Cat Prowler around with. The trailer loaded weighs about 1700 lbs., I have not had any problems to date. I'd purchase the same truck again!

Rear Cab Doors, Ease of Maintenance, Interior features and layout. Bed Tie Down rail, Bed Protectors top of bed rail.

V6 available in base model

Best truck made for an outdoor a couple
By heli_mhunter

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the TRD access cab. My wife and I like to bike and canoe. This truck fits our lifestyle perfectly. I had a 4 door tundra (too big and looked and operated clumsy). The Tacoma however, looks incredible and feels and handles very smooth. I park it in the garage and just look at it. I would highly recommend.

The truck just looks TOUGH. thinking about getting some accessories now (Nerf and Bull bars)

Get rid of cheap looking things. Toyota needs to replace the hood prop rod and install cylinders. Storage compartment doors need to be heavier duty.