Used 2013 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good/Safe/Reliable
By Ron

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a '14 4cyl. Tacoma access cab that I hit/bounced off a bridge 2 X at 70 MPH all bags (except passenger - no passenger) went off. It was totaled but crumpled as designed and trans/engine went into pavement as designed. It saved my life and no injuries. Replaced it with this '13 pre runner with a 4.0 six cyl. Get real avg. 20 MPG. Installed a Firestone rear airbag kit and the ride improved dramatically carrying 10 psi. with no load. I am an old guy and do not race around but plenty of power for me. We have had a 4runner, Landcruiser and several older off road junk tacomas. They all did their job and lasted if maintained.

GUTLESS
By billwagn

2013 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for almost 2 years now and think it is a piece of junk, it is very gutless and gets very poor mileage. I bought it to get better mileage than my 1999 gmc with a v-8 however it gets less mileage than the other truck which has ten times the power and gets 20 to 22 miles per gallon. this heap only gets 18 mpg on the highway and won't climb a hill more than 40 miles per hour, as well as it shifts into overdrive going up a hill and is loosing speed....wish I had my GMC back and toyota had this junk shoved down their throat

2013 trd sport
By joeguy

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought it certified pre owned; with 13k miles, and 100k warranty, saved 30%. mine is not a 4x4; but, I'm not an off roader. No, it isn't a Tundra deluxe, but I like it. very comfortable ride; better than an SUV, great truck for those who want the best of both worlds. I don't do much hauling; if you want heavy duty, look for a Tundra, but for every day family use and utility; this is great.

air blows cold, sound system very good, but I hardly use it. I like to hear what's going on outside. comfortable v6 ride. plenty of storage; beats an SUV. Aluminum engine very pretty.

Truck shifts down automatically when you release the gas pedal. hard to coast. not my favorite feature. transmission is a little punchy; could use a tad more torque, would be perfect. certainly not a v8- but an improvement over 4 banger.

only owned it for a month
By happy163

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in my BMW for this truck and what a difference. I know I can't compare apples to oranges but basic things that were lacking in a 2013 model really irritated me. For instance I drove from California to the NW and on the way encountered cold weather, the side mirrors would fog up and there weren't any defrosters to clear this up. Also, the gas mileage was awful. This truck doesn't have a very strong engine. The standard sound system was ok but could be improved. The gearing on the manual transmission was very hard to shift. i guess it would be good as a hauling vehicle for short trips but other than that definitely not a daily commuter.

Nifty hooks and connectors in the bed of the truck. Nice clearance, good that it takes regular gas.

Trip computer with instant MPG and trip mileage traveled and miles to empty tank. better seats and more seat positions to include tilt. Steering wheel was not good for telescopic steering. Driving position too high.

Expected More of Toyota
By brw115

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

After owning a troubled GM truck for a decade, I had high hopes for this truck. Unfortunately it seems that Toyota has dropped the ball. Though a smaller engine than the 6 cylinder S-10 I owned, this 4 cylinder gets worse gas mileage. The ride is very choppy and the Dunlop installed tires seem very cheap. Why not Michelin Toyota? The exterior of the truck is stylish and the seats on the prerunner are very comfortable, but what is the deal with that cheap Entunes crap stereo? The sound is awful and the so called voice activation rarely works. I do like the space in the access cab and the warranty offered was excellent, but Toyota could do better.

Comfortable Seats Stylish Exterior/Body Design Lots of internal cup holders and pockets

Better factory tires Improve the gas mileage in 4 cylinders Remove Entunes and install quality stereo system