Used 2013 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
OVERATED!
73,502 of 73,587 people found this review helpful
By soreknees

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

most uncomfortable truck i've ever owned. The driver's seat is so poorly designed I can hardly walk when I leave the truck after 30 minutes of driving. Miss my chevy silverado crew cab. The dealership was terrible, didn't even offer to demonstrate the vehicle after the purchase. Just handed me the keys and walked away. (Smithtown Toyota, NY). I had to go find the truck myself. The truck is overpriced to begin with which explains the higher resale price. After driving full sized silverados with every option available for almost the same price, I was amazed that so few comfort and convenience options are available for these trucks i.e. power leather heated seats, climate control.

Favorite Features

3 front cup holders, storage

Suggested Improvements

upgrade styling, Truck is 5 years behind on styling. Alloy wheel Style is dated. Beefier tires on the prerunner SR5 package Redisign front seats for comfort. More comfort options.

Solid Truck
By bukstr

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a TRD Off-Road version and have already put 25K miles on it. The truck is very comfortable to drive, relatively quiet inside, and it is just the right size for my needs. The JBL sound system is comparable to the upgraded sound systems on most luxury cars. The V6 provides more than adequate power, but I'd love to see the Tundras 4.6 V8 as an option. The BFG tires that come with the off-road strike a great balance between on road and off road driving. Also despite the Edmunds review the brakes are not at all spongy, if anything they are grabby.

Favorite Features

TRD Off-Road suspension, ground clearnace, size of the vehicle, JBL sound system, brakes, ergonomics, and folding back seats.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle should have heated mirrors and a light for the bed. Other than that it would be nice to have the heated seats ans SofTex as an option for the TRD models and not just the Limited.

Too many quirks
By markymarc

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I find it hard to believe how many people have blind loyalty to these trucks. There are countless issues with them if you just look them up on forums and blogs. I have most of the problems people complain about: Drive line vibrations, brake shutter, wheel shutter, loud dashboard creaks and rattles. The whole truck shakes like crazy when I try to accelerate hard from a dead stop. The engine is chirping like there's a belt problem. The valves clatter when the water temp is cold. I practically have to wait for the water temp to get to normal running level before it stops. I love the truck and I want to keep it forever, but I get the feeling it either won't hold up or I'll grow to resent it.

Favorite Features

good looking inside and out. comfortable, quite ride, but a bit too firm for me. most room in the back seat of any compact/mid size truck. Feels like a truck should in general. there's no denying it's practically a half ton pick up just like it's big brother the tundra, only in a smaller package. The four cyl has remarkable torque at low rpm so you don't sense a sluggish engine. However, you will notice after flooring it there's not much left to it. Positively economical for a real truck. I average 19/20 city and 22/23 hwy. Stereo sounds fantastic and the blue tooth works great. I wish the 4cyl had a five speed auto. The gears are very tall from stop.

Suggested Improvements

five speed auto trans, direct injection to futher improve fuel economy and power. Full size trucks are already catching up to the eco ratings of this p/u. refine the fit and finish. I expected no rattles and noises from a Toyota. Clean up the engine compartment. Looks like someone installed the engine in their backyard. tape holding ends of wire looms flopping everywhere, exposed wires at plug ends and just a general sloppy appearance. I expected more. I've seen better from kia and mitsu.

Perfect dad truck!
By rayrn87

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck!! Legendary reliability and resale value is ridiculously high! I have a v6 tx edition pre runner double cab so it has a tough rugged look. Cant even count how many compliments Ive gotten on how badass the truck looks, I had a crewmax tundra and the taco is much easier to maneuver and more comfortable to drive daily, although the interior is smaller, my 2 kids and the wife fit comfortably. My only regret is not getting the 4x4 but I'm not much of an offroader. I mainly use the vehicle to drive to work , plenty of stop n go lights but gas mileage is decent and you don't notice the meter move unlike full size trucks.

Favorite Features

The rugged brawny look with the TX edition wheels, integrated backup camera with a Bluetooth audio screen

Suggested Improvements

Not much to gripe about but if i had to then More interior space, a lock for the tailgate! But most tacoma buyers know what they are in for and are usually pleased with this truck in the long run!

only owned it for a month
By happy163

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in my BMW for this truck and what a difference. I know I can't compare apples to oranges but basic things that were lacking in a 2013 model really irritated me. For instance I drove from California to the NW and on the way encountered cold weather, the side mirrors would fog up and there weren't any defrosters to clear this up. Also, the gas mileage was awful. This truck doesn't have a very strong engine. The standard sound system was ok but could be improved. The gearing on the manual transmission was very hard to shift. i guess it would be good as a hauling vehicle for short trips but other than that definitely not a daily commuter.

Favorite Features

Nifty hooks and connectors in the bed of the truck. Nice clearance, good that it takes regular gas.

Suggested Improvements

Trip computer with instant MPG and trip mileage traveled and miles to empty tank. better seats and more seat positions to include tilt. Steering wheel was not good for telescopic steering. Driving position too high.