2013 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Expected More of Toyota
By brw115 on 05/09/14 07:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

After owning a troubled GM truck for a decade, I had high hopes for this truck. Unfortunately it seems that Toyota has dropped the ball. Though a smaller engine than the 6 cylinder S-10 I owned, this 4 cylinder gets worse gas mileage. The ride is very choppy and the Dunlop installed tires seem very cheap. Why not Michelin Toyota? The exterior of the truck is stylish and the seats on the prerunner are very comfortable, but what is the deal with that cheap Entunes crap stereo? The sound is awful and the so called voice activation rarely works. I do like the space in the access cab and the warranty offered was excellent, but Toyota could do better.

Too many quirks
By markymarc on 04/04/14 20:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I find it hard to believe how many people have blind loyalty to these trucks. There are countless issues with them if you just look them up on forums and blogs. I have most of the problems people complain about: Drive line vibrations, brake shutter, wheel shutter, loud dashboard creaks and rattles. The whole truck shakes like crazy when I try to accelerate hard from a dead stop. The engine is chirping like there's a belt problem. The valves clatter when the water temp is cold. I practically have to wait for the water temp to get to normal running level before it stops. I love the truck and I want to keep it forever, but I get the feeling it either won't hold up or I'll grow to resent it.

Solid Truck
By bukstr on 12/16/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a TRD Off-Road version and have already put 25K miles on it. The truck is very comfortable to drive, relatively quiet inside, and it is just the right size for my needs. The JBL sound system is comparable to the upgraded sound systems on most luxury cars. The V6 provides more than adequate power, but I'd love to see the Tundras 4.6 V8 as an option. The BFG tires that come with the off-road strike a great balance between on road and off road driving. Also despite the Edmunds review the brakes are not at all spongy, if anything they are grabby.

Underpowered but great truck
By yodusty on 12/08/13 19:38 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my truck and wouldn't trade my truck for anything, but I have been spending lots of money for a little more horsepower and gas mileage. I am leaning more towards a turbo which are hard to come by because its too new. I'm not sure other Toyota models have more horsepower than the Tacoma. Other models include the Camry, 4-Runner, and FJ Cruiser.

Should Be Better
By likenicethings on 11/24/13 12:21 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

There are only a couple of choices for a mid-size pickup. The Tacoma is an average vehicle that could easily be much better. All Tacoma's speedometers are off by 3 mph and all 4-cyl engines tick like toy engines. The 4-cyl engines are less than adequate for a useful pickup truck. The transmission has to downshift twice going up marginal grades at 65 mph. I want more mpg than the standard 1/2 Ton PU, but need enough power for adequate highway driving.

Good Truck
By oldguy42 on 07/21/13 08:37 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I had been driving a 1994 Toyota pickup for 17 years and decided to trade for a new one. I was sure it would be another Toyota, and spent quite a bit of time deciding which model to get. I'm hopeful that my research might help others in deciding what to buy. I mostly drive the truck back and forth to work, so it was important to get a comfortable vehicle that is fun to drive. The SR5 package has more comfortable seats in my opinion and a nicer interior, so I got the SR5 package. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power for me. The truck is quiet and comfortable and I enjoy driving it.

Awesome
By cisrab on 07/13/13 21:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned jeeps, wranglers and cherokees. This Tacoma with the TRD off road package, supercharger, and Baja suspension is a much better vehicle then the jeeps. Much more reliable and excellent off road. Will it mach a Rubicon no, but it will hang with it. The truck is much more reliable and comfortable on the road then a rubicon. Toyota's dependability is unmatched.

Retired Tacoma Owner
By fairmont79 on 06/29/13 13:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I recently replaced my 1997 T100 SR5 with the access cab Tacoma. I had well over 200,000 on the T100. I figured the Tacoma would serve me well also. I ordered the 4cyl Base Access Cab with the SR5 Package. The milage for the first month has been 24.6 - 25 MPG. The fit and finish is excellent, Millage is where it is advertised, and performance with the 4 cyl. has exceeded my expectations. I like the rear view camera, makes hooking up my small trailer a snap! I have a single axle trailer that I use to pull my Arctic Cat Prowler around with. The trailer loaded weighs about 1700 lbs., I have not had any problems to date. I'd purchase the same truck again!

Manual Clutch Wore Out at 6000 Miles!
By driver882 on 06/13/13 04:20 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2013 Takoma, purchased new 3 months ago, has 6250 miles on it. The dealer (Ourisman Chantilly Toyota) tells me that the clutch is completely worn down. I have driven manuals for years and am certainly not hard on the clutch, nor do I "ride" the clutch. It is hard to rebut the conclusion that this is somehow my fault and the clutch is excluded from every warranty, even the fancy "Auto4Life" service contract and the "Carefree Car Protection Service Contract". The repair will cost more than $2,000. I submit that this is a mechanical problem reflective of the truck.

Solid medium size truck
By zx10rrider on 04/08/13 13:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No Tacoma "Fan Boy" here. This is my first Toyota vehicle and there have been no surprises so far. The 2013 Tacoma has been what a truck this size should be. Powerful, quite, smooth at highway speeds. It does have a firm ride thanks to the TRD off road pkg. I am 6'1" and the cab had plenty of room in the front and rear seats. Parking this truck is no major chore with the short bed. I paid $500 below invoice or $30180 before TTL fees. Overall I am very happy with this truck.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$126 per month*