Major Driveline Problems, won't buy another, Toyota offering arbitration
By 12tacoowner on
2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)
I have a 2012 double cab v6 TRD Off-Road, 100% stock. Lemon?? My first Toyota. Bought new from dealer out of state, arrived by transporter and immediately had major drive line vibration. Been to local dealer 3x; in contact with Toyota USA because the dealers can't fix. Read up on this at TacomaWorld, there are many 2012's with this prob, sad. If you must buy, test drive from a dead stop through 30mph, up hill if possible. Putting a load on it makes the prob especially noticeable if it's there at all. Toyota modern day quality is sub-par, unfortunately they're the only mid-size truck with a v6, 4x4, double cab w/ manual trans option. btw, manual trans is made by Aisin = not goo
Favorite Features
comfortable cab relatively quiet
Suggested Improvements
Resolve the drive line / draftshaft shaking in the 2012's. This is a rampant problem!!! Also, -deliver the vehicles with the steering wheel centered -use stain resistant fabrics on the sport seats -ship with better tires -source better trans from Getrag -put heavier springs on with tow package -make floor deeper / seat higher to allow better knee comfort -make 4x4 modes usable without waiting for electronics, or having to repeat inputs. Basically go back to mechanical lever action for transfer case 4x4 and High / Low
By brokentaco
on 03/20/14 01:42 AM (PDT)

I am filing for arbitration for a similar vibration on my 2012 Tacoma. Under what issue did you win arbitration for your truck? I was told the two issues are safety or a decrease in resale value. Any advice would be much appreciated.

By brokentaco
on 03/03/14 17:07 PM (PST)

Hello, I have a 2012 Tacoma double cab V6 TRD Sport, which has been vibrating between 15-25 mph since day one. I have had it in the shop several times and despite the repairs made per a TSB the truck still vibrates. I am in the process of starting a case with arbitration to declare Lemon Law. I was wondering on what basis you won your arbitration. I was told arbitration would either push the safety issue of a vehicles defect or the resale values depreciation. I have heard that this is a long and painful process and wanted any insight possible from someone who has been through it and won. Thank you!

By hellbringer
on 01/15/14 23:48 PM (PST)

If by any chance you see this comment. I am 100% positive you were the previous owner of this Taco. It's in Pyrite mica right? I drove it today as it was bought at a dealer auction in the Bay Area. I do know that it is considered a "LEMON". I would very much like to get into contact with you. As I am very interested in purchasing. Did the issue get better after the transmission was replaced? If you can, please reach me at tarmaster@hotmail.com Thank you!

By 12tacoowner
on 01/19/14 09:30 AM (PST)

Yes, that might be the one I had all the problems with. Toyota was terrible to deal with and they were forced to buy it back under CA law and dispute settlement. They can keep throwing transmissions in it, but the problem is the drive train, the transmission is a result, not a cause. I suspect it has a mis-manufactured frame. Toyota still can't figure out why many of these trucks have the drive train probs. I talked with Mike Sweers, Toyota's Chief Engineer in Michigan and his team still hasn't resolved these. Low price doesn't really equate to good value or smart purchase. Good luck if you buy it, I would get a 1st Gen, or other brand. I'm very happy with my 2013 F150 now.