Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Supercharged, 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4
By cansa

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Blue 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4 with the Sport upgrade package that gives you Bilstein shocks, and 18in chrome wheels. After 4k miles I added the supercharger and TRD exhaust. As warned the supercharger does whine on acceleration but settles out on the highway. Dead stop 0-60 times are 6.4 but the real performance enhancement is the 60-80 MPH response. Prior to the supercharger and exhaust being installed I got at best 19.5 -21.1 MPG on the Highway and 14-16 combined. Now I get 21.5 to 22 highway and 18 combined. I strongly suggest getting both the supercharger and exhaust as they really up the performance and gas mileage. The truck rides nice and manuevers in town well.

Size, ease of driving, ENTUNE navigation and Apps. Performance with Supercharger and TRD exhaust is worth the $$ if you can afford it. Love the blue color with chrome running boards, chrome bull nose. Added a "Undercover" tonneau too.

Drivers seat is uncomfortable and not easy to set up to find a good driving position. Long trips leave me with a back ache. For the price this truck should have a higher end electric seat. Although I love the truck I think Toyota should bring to America the Hilux that they sell in Mexico and other countries. It's smaller, rock solid build and has a diesel.

Great for the casual truck user.
By jrliegl

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a casual truck user, meaning I do haul trailers, dirt bikes, quads, mulch, and the occasional camper. It stands up to every task I ask of it, and it takes me to and from work daily as well. The camper shell on the back smoothes out the truck feel of the empty bed. It's just enough weight to make it go down the road very comfortably full or empty.

I love the new touch screen radio and how easily it sync's to my iphone. I was not an instant believer in the plastic bed but it has held up to my demands with no wear of visible damage. I kind of like it now, I don't worry about the metal bed under it rotting out from a liner rubbing.

Offer a diesel. I would love to see this offered in a diesel. Trucks are for work, and diesel engines put out plenty of torque to get it done. With all the advancements in the diesel world, I think we (USA) are ready to give them a second chance. Open the options a little, I wish I could get the sport package and the baha package both.

Major Driveline Problems, won't buy another, Toyota offering arbitration
By 12tacoowner

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2012 double cab v6 TRD Off-Road, 100% stock. Lemon?? My first Toyota. Bought new from dealer out of state, arrived by transporter and immediately had major drive line vibration. Been to local dealer 3x; in contact with Toyota USA because the dealers can't fix. Read up on this at TacomaWorld, there are many 2012's with this prob, sad. If you must buy, test drive from a dead stop through 30mph, up hill if possible. Putting a load on it makes the prob especially noticeable if it's there at all. Toyota modern day quality is sub-par, unfortunately they're the only mid-size truck with a v6, 4x4, double cab w/ manual trans option. btw, manual trans is made by Aisin = not goo

comfortable cab relatively quiet

Resolve the drive line / draftshaft shaking in the 2012's. This is a rampant problem!!! Also, -deliver the vehicles with the steering wheel centered -use stain resistant fabrics on the sport seats -ship with better tires -source better trans from Getrag -put heavier springs on with tow package -make floor deeper / seat higher to allow better knee comfort -make 4x4 modes usable without waiting for electronics, or having to repeat inputs. Basically go back to mechanical lever action for transfer case 4x4 and High / Low

12 Tacoma 4wd, DBl Cab, 4WD, Sport, L/B
By lagunasecam

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500, but really wanted something smaller to drive around town. Overall a nice truck, but it has some significant cost cutting that shows through. With an MSRP of almost $35k, it is hard to believe that the 4WD selector, outside mirror, fog light, and door switches are not back-lit. Drove the truck the second day I owned it at night in a snowstorm. Had to pull over to find the 4wd switch. Just plain cheap! What could it cost to back light the switches, $10? A hood prop rod? What, another $20 for struts? No heated mirrors or rear defroster available at any price? I guess it never snows. Auto-door locks? Entune does not work wirelessly (BT) with an iPhone!

Radio and sub are great. Handling is very good. Rear camera with Nav screen is outstanding.

The truck rides nice and the exterior looks great (Sport), but the mileage is about the same as my GMC (16/19). The engine is underpowered, but ok for driving around town. Hard to imagine towing #6000 with this engine. A 4.0L with only 230HP? (My new GTI with a 2.0L has 200HP.) Where is a 6 sp transmission? I guess with no competition (only the Frontier), Toyota is happy to sell last decade’s technology. How about a 110V outlet inside the truck? Remote start option? A nice truck that could be so much better for a few hundred dollars of Toyota investment.

Great Midsized Truck
By truklvr

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2003 Tacoma regular cab at 210000 miles with no problems and still running strong. I always like the styling of the 2005's and was glad that the restyling of the new 2012 was suttle. It has a nice smooth ride, handles very well and is more spacious than my previous truck. It has adequate power, easy to handle and a nice turning radius for easy parking. I checked out the Nissan Frontier, also a nice truck but the turning radius was very wide and not available in a regular cab. The new gauge cluster lighting on my new Tacoma is very cool. I never did care for the all orange lighting on the previous models but that's a matter of personal opinion. I plan on keeping it for many years.

The look. Smooth ride and great handling especially considering it's a truck. Tight turning radius. Day time running lights with nicely appointed gauges and lighting. Many standard safety features.

The basic bare bones models are not available with larger alloy wheels. The standard 15" steel wheels appear to be a bit dinky. Also no power windows are available for those rare occasions for me wanting to roll down the windows on the passenger side. Gas mileage is not bad but not really good for a 4 cyl. The camery V6 has higher ratings from what I've read. These are suggestions I could deal with and if the reliability continues I will continue to be satisfied.