Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Top of the line it's not
By kmann51

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this about 10 months now and get more aggravated with it each time I drive it. First, you get neither power or fuel economy. Traded an FJ for this which had gobs of power to this that seems woefully underpowered and it gets 15-17 mpg while driving it like miss Daisy is my passenger. Mine is the TRD crew cab, and it has no heated mirrors, many of the interior switches are not back-lit so driving at night or in cold weather the truck is a pain in the neck. The most recent insult was the ENTUNE update they sent on a USB drive. Now none of the functions are working even though my phone shows a good bluetooth connection.

It has four doors

Entune, back up camera, interior lighting, motor, transmission.

The Best Vehicle on the Road... today
By joro05

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I only wish it got 35mpg... maybe they will put a turbo diesel in it eventually. but for what it is, this is the best truck out there. Tows my boat, hauls 2 motorcycles, and carries 4 passengers comfortably at the same time... What more could one ask for? except 35mpg (it gets 24...when not towing). if you want a practical truck this is it. best in quality and value. I love my toy taco... any time i pass a job site, everyone turns and says "that's a nice truck".

towing with a 4 cylinder

turbo diesel

Great looking, fun to drive, and very reliable
By sellisd77

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '12 Tacoma in December of '11 with the Sports upgrade package and ETune system. With 24k miles to date, I haven't had even the slightest of issues and I've put it through quite a bit. Blue Tooth hooks up to my iPhone in seconds. The stereo and sub are awesome. 4x4 cuts through mud and snow without hesitation. Gas mileage is average if you don't have a lead foot. Still enjoy driving it. Handles exceptionally well for a pick-up and acceleration is surprising. Everything feels tight and well placed for easy adjustments and/or after market additions. The bed liner is great and storage will surprise you. I've had GM's all my life and I won't go back.

E-Tune System, camera, 4x4, overall look (Black with Scoop and Sports Package), drive-ability, tightness in controls, surprising storage space under seat and in bed, 400W AC outlet, ease of adding aftermarket parts, e.g. nerf bars, bull bar, etc., 13 cup holders, USB port, hands free ability, etc. The full cab has plenty of room for three full size adults and the child safety seat hooks make bringing the family along much easier. The overall look and feel of this truck is just awesome. We've been on several long driving drips through the highest mountain peaks and the lowest drivable riverbeds and easily towed a 6k lb boat with little stress. City and country truck that won't disappoint.

There is no tailgate lock which you will need to purchase and install if you are concerned about tailgate theft. Fairly easy to install for the weekend mechanic, but those not mechanically inclined should hire someone to install it. For taller individuals like myself (6'-3" 245lbs), the seat height is a bit too high and was initially uncomfortable until I finally found the sweet spot. Lastly, they could have had more back lit switch panels which is a pain when learning the vehicle's options, but it will come natural over time. All minor issues in my opinion.

Supercharged, 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4
By cansa

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Blue 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4 with the Sport upgrade package that gives you Bilstein shocks, and 18in chrome wheels. After 4k miles I added the supercharger and TRD exhaust. As warned the supercharger does whine on acceleration but settles out on the highway. Dead stop 0-60 times are 6.4 but the real performance enhancement is the 60-80 MPH response. Prior to the supercharger and exhaust being installed I got at best 19.5 -21.1 MPG on the Highway and 14-16 combined. Now I get 21.5 to 22 highway and 18 combined. I strongly suggest getting both the supercharger and exhaust as they really up the performance and gas mileage. The truck rides nice and manuevers in town well.

Size, ease of driving, ENTUNE navigation and Apps. Performance with Supercharger and TRD exhaust is worth the $$ if you can afford it. Love the blue color with chrome running boards, chrome bull nose. Added a "Undercover" tonneau too.

Drivers seat is uncomfortable and not easy to set up to find a good driving position. Long trips leave me with a back ache. For the price this truck should have a higher end electric seat. Although I love the truck I think Toyota should bring to America the Hilux that they sell in Mexico and other countries. It's smaller, rock solid build and has a diesel.

Great for the casual truck user.
By jrliegl

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a casual truck user, meaning I do haul trailers, dirt bikes, quads, mulch, and the occasional camper. It stands up to every task I ask of it, and it takes me to and from work daily as well. The camper shell on the back smoothes out the truck feel of the empty bed. It's just enough weight to make it go down the road very comfortably full or empty.

I love the new touch screen radio and how easily it sync's to my iphone. I was not an instant believer in the plastic bed but it has held up to my demands with no wear of visible damage. I kind of like it now, I don't worry about the metal bed under it rotting out from a liner rubbing.

Offer a diesel. I would love to see this offered in a diesel. Trucks are for work, and diesel engines put out plenty of torque to get it done. With all the advancements in the diesel world, I think we (USA) are ready to give them a second chance. Open the options a little, I wish I could get the sport package and the baha package both.