2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Top of the line it's not
By kmann51 on 01/30/13 22:07 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this about 10 months now and get more aggravated with it each time I drive it. First, you get neither power or fuel economy. Traded an FJ for this which had gobs of power to this that seems woefully underpowered and it gets 15-17 mpg while driving it like miss Daisy is my passenger. Mine is the TRD crew cab, and it has no heated mirrors, many of the interior switches are not back-lit so driving at night or in cold weather the truck is a pain in the neck. The most recent insult was the ENTUNE update they sent on a USB drive. Now none of the functions are working even though my phone shows a good bluetooth connection.

The Best Vehicle on the Road... today
By joro05 on 01/08/13 12:17 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I only wish it got 35mpg... maybe they will put a turbo diesel in it eventually. but for what it is, this is the best truck out there. Tows my boat, hauls 2 motorcycles, and carries 4 passengers comfortably at the same time... What more could one ask for? except 35mpg (it gets 24...when not towing). if you want a practical truck this is it. best in quality and value. I love my toy taco... any time i pass a job site, everyone turns and says "that's a nice truck".

Great looking, fun to drive, and very reliable
By sellisd77 on 10/23/12 09:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '12 Tacoma in December of '11 with the Sports upgrade package and ETune system. With 24k miles to date, I haven't had even the slightest of issues and I've put it through quite a bit. Blue Tooth hooks up to my iPhone in seconds. The stereo and sub are awesome. 4x4 cuts through mud and snow without hesitation. Gas mileage is average if you don't have a lead foot. Still enjoy driving it. Handles exceptionally well for a pick-up and acceleration is surprising. Everything feels tight and well placed for easy adjustments and/or after market additions. The bed liner is great and storage will surprise you. I've had GM's all my life and I won't go back.

Supercharged, 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4
By cansa on 09/15/12 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Blue 2012 Tacoma Sport 4x4 with the Sport upgrade package that gives you Bilstein shocks, and 18in chrome wheels. After 4k miles I added the supercharger and TRD exhaust. As warned the supercharger does whine on acceleration but settles out on the highway. Dead stop 0-60 times are 6.4 but the real performance enhancement is the 60-80 MPH response. Prior to the supercharger and exhaust being installed I got at best 19.5 -21.1 MPG on the Highway and 14-16 combined. Now I get 21.5 to 22 highway and 18 combined. I strongly suggest getting both the supercharger and exhaust as they really up the performance and gas mileage. The truck rides nice and manuevers in town well.

Great for the casual truck user.
By jrliegl on 08/07/12 19:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a casual truck user, meaning I do haul trailers, dirt bikes, quads, mulch, and the occasional camper. It stands up to every task I ask of it, and it takes me to and from work daily as well. The camper shell on the back smoothes out the truck feel of the empty bed. It's just enough weight to make it go down the road very comfortably full or empty.

Major Driveline Problems, won't buy another, Toyota offering arbitration
By 12tacoowner on 05/20/12 13:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2012 double cab v6 TRD Off-Road, 100% stock. Lemon?? My first Toyota. Bought new from dealer out of state, arrived by transporter and immediately had major drive line vibration. Been to local dealer 3x; in contact with Toyota USA because the dealers can't fix. Read up on this at TacomaWorld, there are many 2012's with this prob, sad. If you must buy, test drive from a dead stop through 30mph, up hill if possible. Putting a load on it makes the prob especially noticeable if it's there at all. Toyota modern day quality is sub-par, unfortunately they're the only mid-size truck with a v6, 4x4, double cab w/ manual trans option. btw, manual trans is made by Aisin = not goo

12 Tacoma 4wd, DBl Cab, 4WD, Sport, L/B
By lagunasecam on 01/02/12 18:13 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500, but really wanted something smaller to drive around town. Overall a nice truck, but it has some significant cost cutting that shows through. With an MSRP of almost $35k, it is hard to believe that the 4WD selector, outside mirror, fog light, and door switches are not back-lit. Drove the truck the second day I owned it at night in a snowstorm. Had to pull over to find the 4wd switch. Just plain cheap! What could it cost to back light the switches, $10? A hood prop rod? What, another $20 for struts? No heated mirrors or rear defroster available at any price? I guess it never snows. Auto-door locks? Entune does not work wirelessly (BT) with an iPhone!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Double-cab in VA is:

$133 per month*