Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
Rookie Truck Owner
By truckrookie

2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought (and reviewed on here) my 2009 Audi TT Convertible which has been and continues to be a blast. At 85K miles, I decided to let it be my weekend car and get a truck for the first time. I had always been in love with Tacomas. This October I got a 2012 Pre-Runner Xtra Cab and couldn't be happier. The interior has been upgraded and has a stylish, sporty feel. There is plenty of storage and plenty of room without feeling like you are driving in the middle of a cavern. The 4 CYL engine definitely provides enough power, and the Pre-Runner look gives the appearance of a 4x4 without the drawbacks on MPG.

Favorite Features

Everything: The look, power, style, MPG

Suggested Improvements

I had to add a couple of after-market upgrades which enhanced the look and wish Toyota would just include them especially in an upgraded model like the Pre-Runner SR5 package. I added chrome tube steps which not only look good; they also really assist people in entering and leaving the elevated cabin. Fog lamps--Toyota mysteriously has holes for them but don't offer them as an accessory on this model. OK.....

Extremely POOR Gas Mileage
By johnd38

I've had Tacomas in the past with marginal gas mileage of 25 mpg, but this is terrible - less than 20 mpg. Toyota has gotten worse & does not live up to the high standards that it once had. Very tinny when closing doors & Poor Dealer Maintenance. Probably will not buy again unless they improve much more. They are relying on past reputation instead of making a better vehicle. Seems like there is No Engineering; only Sales & Marketing today. Put some Engineering effort into this: Improve Gas Mileage -30 mpg+ can be done & quit all the electronic giz wiz "features". Get back to basics & make a good, fuel efficient vehicle again.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage!!! Hand parking brake; not foot activated. NO Daytime running lights. USB ports, not the ipod stuff