Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Cheap Built
By tuckerp

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2012 reg cab 4x4 gets very poor fuel milage . And forget trying to pass another car . The build is very poor . Right front inside fender Well keeps falling out . It is put together with snaps . After twice in the shop . I am putting screws in it . The manual stick leather boot fell through when I dropped my phone on it . Once again it is snapped in. Now falls out easy . Worst truck I have owned . I have owned at least 20 new trucks . I had a Tundra the first year they came out . It was a great truck .And had a 85 toyota 4x4 that was indestructible . This truck should be nick named the lego truck . I can't believe how much Toyota has moved toward such poor quality .

Extremely POOR Gas Mileage
By johnd38

2012 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had Tacomas in the past with marginal gas mileage of 25 mpg, but this is terrible - less than 20 mpg. Toyota has gotten worse & does not live up to the high standards that it once had. Very tinny when closing doors & Poor Dealer Maintenance. Probably will not buy again unless they improve much more. They are relying on past reputation instead of making a better vehicle. Seems like there is No Engineering; only Sales & Marketing today. Put some Engineering effort into this: Improve Gas Mileage -30 mpg+ can be done & quit all the electronic giz wiz "features". Get back to basics & make a good, fuel efficient vehicle again.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage!!! Hand parking brake; not foot activated. NO Daytime running lights. USB ports, not the ipod stuff

Top of the line it's not
By kmann51

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this about 10 months now and get more aggravated with it each time I drive it. First, you get neither power or fuel economy. Traded an FJ for this which had gobs of power to this that seems woefully underpowered and it gets 15-17 mpg while driving it like miss Daisy is my passenger. Mine is the TRD crew cab, and it has no heated mirrors, many of the interior switches are not back-lit so driving at night or in cold weather the truck is a pain in the neck. The most recent insult was the ENTUNE update they sent on a USB drive. Now none of the functions are working even though my phone shows a good bluetooth connection.

Favorite Features

It has four doors

Suggested Improvements

Entune, back up camera, interior lighting, motor, transmission.

The Best Vehicle on the Road... today
By joro05

2012 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I only wish it got 35mpg... maybe they will put a turbo diesel in it eventually. but for what it is, this is the best truck out there. Tows my boat, hauls 2 motorcycles, and carries 4 passengers comfortably at the same time... What more could one ask for? except 35mpg (it gets 24...when not towing). if you want a practical truck this is it. best in quality and value. I love my toy taco... any time i pass a job site, everyone turns and says "that's a nice truck".

Favorite Features

towing with a 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

turbo diesel

Great looking, fun to drive, and very reliable
By sellisd77

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '12 Tacoma in December of '11 with the Sports upgrade package and ETune system. With 24k miles to date, I haven't had even the slightest of issues and I've put it through quite a bit. Blue Tooth hooks up to my iPhone in seconds. The stereo and sub are awesome. 4x4 cuts through mud and snow without hesitation. Gas mileage is average if you don't have a lead foot. Still enjoy driving it. Handles exceptionally well for a pick-up and acceleration is surprising. Everything feels tight and well placed for easy adjustments and/or after market additions. The bed liner is great and storage will surprise you. I've had GM's all my life and I won't go back.

Favorite Features

E-Tune System, camera, 4x4, overall look (Black with Scoop and Sports Package), drive-ability, tightness in controls, surprising storage space under seat and in bed, 400W AC outlet, ease of adding aftermarket parts, e.g. nerf bars, bull bar, etc., 13 cup holders, USB port, hands free ability, etc. The full cab has plenty of room for three full size adults and the child safety seat hooks make bringing the family along much easier. The overall look and feel of this truck is just awesome. We've been on several long driving drips through the highest mountain peaks and the lowest drivable riverbeds and easily towed a 6k lb boat with little stress. City and country truck that won't disappoint.

Suggested Improvements

There is no tailgate lock which you will need to purchase and install if you are concerned about tailgate theft. Fairly easy to install for the weekend mechanic, but those not mechanically inclined should hire someone to install it. For taller individuals like myself (6'-3" 245lbs), the seat height is a bit too high and was initially uncomfortable until I finally found the sweet spot. Lastly, they could have had more back lit switch panels which is a pain when learning the vehicle's options, but it will come natural over time. All minor issues in my opinion.