Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Oldie but Goodey.. Built for it's year
By PHJTEXAN

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased this beauty (been searching for a Tacoma for 3 1/2 weeks) and have read up alot on reviews, Pros/Cons. This truck was built for it's year '12, of course fuel economy wasn't great back in the year but fuel at that time was cheap as well. This style reminds me of my time, when I was younger, so it brings back alot of memories. It's not the High tech/push the button on warm seats/easy smooth turns, etc etc plz people it's a truck that will do the job when needed. To save gas on long distance hwy (put the gear in 4-D drive, it will save you gas (around 22-24 mph). In the city well that's different (can put you at 16-18, all depends on how you drive, right). As for metal to the pedal, me personally it picked up quick and felt the power/jerk on this baby. Long bed vs Short bed: long bed you get a better smoother ride when accelerating compare to the short bed. Long Bed you have a better balance and you can put more items in the back. I'm an old school kind of guy and this truck fits the year it was built.. people these days want old school trucks to be like luxury and well, they should either sell it and get a more of there style truck. I had the option to get a '17 or '16, but body style was different, remember (for those who knows) '12 was the beginning of a new body style change for Tacoma and it was also a change of technology as well. So... it comes down to this: great truck, it has the power (long bed) I have the TDR sport and so far at 80k now.. i havent had any issues...

2012 Tacoma
By paul anderson

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent lite duty truck.

2012 Tacoma @ 76,000 miles
By Bill Wilkinson

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fantastic truck. I plan to keep it for another 76,000 miles at least. I have used the four wheel drive in heavy snow in upstate NY and on Florida Beaches and it performs flawlessly. I would have no hesitation in hopping in and driving to the Florida Keys or Alaska. The two options I wish that it had would be heated mirrors and a remote starter. I replaced the tires at just over 50,000 miles. This has been my 13th truck and the best. If you are looking for a mid size truck, give the Tacoma a test drive.

Cheap Built
By tuckerp

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2012 reg cab
4x4 gets very poor fuel milage . And forget trying to pass another car .
The build is very poor . Right front inside fender Well keeps falling out . It is put together with snaps . After twice in the shop . I am putting screws in it .
The manual stick leather boot fell through when I dropped my phone on it . Once again it is snapped in. Now falls out easy . Worst truck I have owned . I have owned at least 20 new trucks . I had a Tundra the first year they came out . It was a great truck .And had a 85 toyota 4x4 that was indestructible .
This truck should be nick named the lego truck . I can't believe how much Toyota has moved toward such poor quality .

Extremely POOR Gas Mileage & Extremely UNSAFE Trk
By johnd38

2012 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Truck has unpredictable hesitation / stall. This is not a good thing with oncoming traffic & is Extremely Unsafe. Toyota has been notified, but their responsive is to drive more aggressively (Unsafe). When you pull out into traffic & their is no response to the gas pedal, it is a very unsafe feeling.
I've had Tacomas in the past with marginal gas mileage of 25 mpg, but this is terrible - less than 20 mpg.
Toyota has gotten worse & does not live up to the high standards that it once had.
Very tinny when closing doors & Poor Dealer Maintenance.
Probably will not buy again unless they improve much more.
They are relying on past reputation instead of making a better vehicle.
Seems like there is No Engineering; only Sales & Marketing today.
Put some Engineering effort into this:
Improve Gas Mileage -30 mpg+ can be done & quit all the electronic giz wiz "features".
Get back to basics & make a good, fuel efficient vehicle again.