Used 2012 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2012 Tacoma @ 76,000 miles
By Bill Wilkinson

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fantastic truck. I plan to keep it for another 76,000 miles at least. I have used the four wheel drive in heavy snow in upstate NY and on Florida Beaches and it performs flawlessly. I would have no hesitation in hopping in and driving to the Florida Keys or Alaska. The two options I wish that it had would be heated mirrors and a remote starter. I replaced the tires at just over 50,000 miles. This has been my 13th truck and the best. If you are looking for a mid size truck, give the Tacoma a test drive.

Cheap Built
By tuckerp

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2012 reg cab 4x4 gets very poor fuel milage . And forget trying to pass another car . The build is very poor . Right front inside fender Well keeps falling out . It is put together with snaps . After twice in the shop . I am putting screws in it . The manual stick leather boot fell through when I dropped my phone on it . Once again it is snapped in. Now falls out easy . Worst truck I have owned . I have owned at least 20 new trucks . I had a Tundra the first year they came out . It was a great truck .And had a 85 toyota 4x4 that was indestructible . This truck should be nick named the lego truck . I can't believe how much Toyota has moved toward such poor quality .

Extremely POOR Gas Mileage
By johnd38

2012 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had Tacomas in the past with marginal gas mileage of 25 mpg, but this is terrible - less than 20 mpg. Toyota has gotten worse & does not live up to the high standards that it once had. Very tinny when closing doors & Poor Dealer Maintenance. Probably will not buy again unless they improve much more. They are relying on past reputation instead of making a better vehicle. Seems like there is No Engineering; only Sales & Marketing today. Put some Engineering effort into this: Improve Gas Mileage -30 mpg+ can be done & quit all the electronic giz wiz "features". Get back to basics & make a good, fuel efficient vehicle again.

Improve gas mileage!!! Hand parking brake; not foot activated. NO Daytime running lights. USB ports, not the ipod stuff

Top of the line it's not
By kmann51

2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this about 10 months now and get more aggravated with it each time I drive it. First, you get neither power or fuel economy. Traded an FJ for this which had gobs of power to this that seems woefully underpowered and it gets 15-17 mpg while driving it like miss Daisy is my passenger. Mine is the TRD crew cab, and it has no heated mirrors, many of the interior switches are not back-lit so driving at night or in cold weather the truck is a pain in the neck. The most recent insult was the ENTUNE update they sent on a USB drive. Now none of the functions are working even though my phone shows a good bluetooth connection.

It has four doors

Entune, back up camera, interior lighting, motor, transmission.

The Best Vehicle on the Road... today
By joro05

2012 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I only wish it got 35mpg... maybe they will put a turbo diesel in it eventually. but for what it is, this is the best truck out there. Tows my boat, hauls 2 motorcycles, and carries 4 passengers comfortably at the same time... What more could one ask for? except 35mpg (it gets 24...when not towing). if you want a practical truck this is it. best in quality and value. I love my toy taco... any time i pass a job site, everyone turns and says "that's a nice truck".

towing with a 4 cylinder