Love my Tacoma...BUT...
By tonyd924 on
2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
This is my 3rd Tacoma and I love the ride and the overall build quality BUT the engine noises drive me absolutely crazy! The best description I can give is that the engine sounds like a wind-up toy. The noises seem to be an exhaust leak of some kind (most noticeable during acceleration) along with a loud valve-tapping sound coming from both the top and bottom areas of the engine (most noticeable at idle). I believe the exhaust sound may be a known faulty manifold problem (?) but I'm not sure about what seems to be the valve-tapping sounds. If anyone has any input whatsoever to the problem and/or fixes, PLEASE post a reply. I'm praying the dealer will be able to find and fix the problems
Favorite Features
Tight fit and finish, great ride, great acceleration, comfortable back seats, plenty of storage space, plenty of cupholders, iPod hook-up, back-up camera...could go on and on.
Suggested Improvements
PLEASE fix engine noise issues, add height adjustment to driver's seat, make power rear sliding window standard, include clutchless manual shift feature to automatic transmission (as in the Highlander)
By timtutini
on 10/25/11 18:43 PM (PDT)

Thank God !!! I thought I was going crazy. The exhaust leak sound happens under load in my truck also. Took it to the dealer but everyone was out to lunch. So i guess they will say everything is normal. I tried putting Royal Purple in it to quiet the motor, however its not having the same effect it had in my Audi. Has any one noticed any performance issues associated with the mystery noise? Please let me know.

By jmmbode
on 07/30/11 08:02 AM (PDT)

Same as above. Bought my double cab in January 2011. Notice the exhaust leak like / or ping like noise coming from the engine. It is annoying especially with Jersey Barriers next to you on the highway. Seems more prevelant within 1st 5 minutes of turnign on the vehicle, then subsides very slightly but still can make me crazy. Other than that I love the truck. Maybe Toyota will find a remedy if enough people complain.

By trojanhammer
on 01/08/12 18:44 PM (PST)

Bought my Tacoma in June 2011. I love the truck, but also have the noises as well as the squeaky brakes. This is the first Tacoma I have bought. I will put a lot of miles on it. I traded in a 07 Camry with 235,000 miles. The Camry was awesome. I bought the Tacoma because my wife will be trading her SUV for a car soon and we need a truck. I do not anticipate putting as many miles on the Tacoma as I did the Camry. I bought the Tacoma for the durability. I know Toyota makes great vehicles. I have to admit though, so far I am questioning my decision to buy the Tacoma. The damn thing looks AWESOME; but if I had to do it over, I don't know. I also have problems with it down shifting. I have an automatic. So far, I would give it an 8. But alot of that has to do with it's looks.

By tonyd924
on 05/26/11 05:59 AM (PDT)

I had my truck in once so far in hopes to fix the problem but I visited the shop on a rainy day and, sure enough, the mechanics "could not duplicate" the noises. I was told "you never bring a vehicle in for noise issues on a rainy day," since the moisture in the air can muffle the noises (and I think they're right). On good weather days the noises are as noticeable as ever...and to the point I want to immediately drive to the truck to a dealership and trade it in on something else. I've already contemplated doing just that...and may very well follow through with it. It really stinks having to consider getting rid of your truck with only 5,000 miles on it but eventually enough becomes enough. If someone from Toyota reads these posts, PLEASE provide some real customer service and offer to fix the problem and not ignore it, as is so often the case.

By tonyd924
on 01/10/12 05:42 AM (PST)

*This is a follow-up to my previous posts. Well, I think I've reached my breaking point with this truck. Only 10,000 miles and I am 99% certain I'll be getting rid of it for something else. Very disappopinting. I put up with the various noises that are referred to in the previous posts since day one and just last week I had my truck in for service, again, hoping they'd be able to fix the noises but that didn't happen. Of course I was told "they are normal sounds." What the...?? How can any manufacturer offer a truck that sounds like a poorly made wind-up toy?? It's either Toyota uses an engine that downright sucks or there are real issues that they try to avoid until the warranty has conveniently lapsed. In addition to the engine noises, the truck has also developed the squishy "wet shoe" brake feel/sound and rough up and down shifts that occasionally occur at odd times. It's a shame that the initial joy of owning a Tacoma (I've owned NUMEROUS Tacomas and other Toyotas over the years) has become severely tarnished and forced me to give up on their trucks and shop elsewehere. A shiny, new Honda Ridgeline may be parked in my garage in the near future.

By taco11
on 04/25/11 09:44 AM (PDT)

I only have 500 miles on my 2011 double cab short-bed and the so called exhaust leak is driving me crazy. I have spoken to Toyota and they are saying this is normal. I can't believe that there isn't a fix for this. When I am on the highway and hit the gas I hear it bad. If at the same time I throw it in neutral and hit the gas the motor sounds great. It only happens when there is a load on engine. If anyone comes up with a fix please post !!!

By hogue
on 04/22/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

tonyd924 My name is Daniel and I puchased a 2011 Tacoma dbl cab prerunnner with the TRD Off Road PKG. Just like you I like everything about this truck BUT the DAMN ENGINE AND EXHAUST NOISE!! It is driving me crazy as well. Tonight I decided to look up some reviews to see if anybody was having the same problems. This was the first place I looked and your review was the first one I read and you hit the nail on the head. The way you described a leaky exhaust sound and a valve tapping on top and bottom areas of the engine are identicle to the noises I have. Please let me know if you come up with anything. I'm taking mine in asap and will let you know if anything comes to light with my problem. Thanks